BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Recently spooled my zb22 with 55# Samurai braid. first 2 hours of fishing, 6 wind knots :mad:. even after stripping a good 30 yards off the reel. today i go out and get 2 more knots today. what a shame, the line casts a mile and is smoothe as silk, no need for a glove or finger guard, not even a chafe on the forefinger. unlike pp which rips up my finger. guess im gonna try something different, maybe suffix. BTW the 55 has a smaller diameter than 40# pp. maybe thats the problem.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
i usually give my braid on the spool a small spray of spray on car wax, every trip i think it helps the braid not not dig and prevent wind knots,, also helps it move through the guides

·
Registered
77 Posts
Try maunually closing the bail (assuming you ARE using a spinning reel) then give the line a good yank away from the reel ( towards the bottom eyelet of the rod).
Sometimes when you close the bail by turning the reel handle it creates a "loop" in the line. Closing the bail manually and then giving the line a good tug usually alleviates the windknot prob.

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
sounds to me like you may have incorrectly spooled the line on the reel. it is really important to match the direction of the spool of line and the spool of your reel. if they get twisted or unrolled in the wrong direction you will have problems till you correct it. try unspooling all the line and re-reeling it in a few times with nothing on the end of your line. just a suggestion.......

·
Registered
150 Posts
sounds to me like you may have incorrectly spooled the line on the reel. it is really important to match the direction of the spool of line and the spool of your reel. if they get twisted or unrolled in the wrong direction you will have problems till you correct it. try unspooling all the line and re-reeling it in a few times with nothing on the end of your line. just a suggestion.......
X2:thumbsup:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thanks for the feedback, the reel doesnt have a bail. never had a problem with 40# PP. as far as the practicing goes, ive been practicing for 40 years. if i havent learned by now, hmmm. thanks again.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have never had an issue with any braid.

Did you spool it on the reel correctly?

Did you clear the line (Tow it behind the boat with no rig - to clear it...??)

·
Registered
7,577 Posts
Keep practicing. Windknots are created on your last cast and retrieve. It's not the line.
thanks for the feedback, the reel doesnt have a bail. never had a problem with 40# PP. as far as the practicing goes, ive been practicing for 40 years. if i havent learned by now, hmmm. thanks again.
Here's what I'm saying......

Is your line spooled on "tight" from the get go? If not the line might dig into itself on the spool during the retrieve, bringing a loose loop out before its time on the next cast and voila! windknot.
Is your spool filled to high? If so, that makes the previous and following scenarios even easier to happen.

No bail? Me either. Here's what I do.

When casting I take the line off the roller with the left hand and grab it with the right index finger. This leaves the line roller at the bottom left quarter of the reel for the cast. At the end of the cast I will have the rod tip as low as I can. As the lure is "about" to hit the water I put the open left hand between the rod and the line comming off the spool, grabbing the line with the open palm and pushing down and out as I raise the rod tip towards the top. Usually this results with the line on the roller, and tension on the roller, palm and the tip of the rod. If all has worked as discribed I continue raising the tip while releasing the line from the left palm and begin the retrieve with tension on the line.

If that move doesn't get the line on the roller on the first try I immediately close the left hand on the line, bring it up and grab it against the reel seat with the right index finger while still lifting the rod tip towards the top, and "with some tension on the line" begin reeling and the roller picks the line out from under my finger and my retrieve is underway.

While this takes a guy like me a minute or two to type, and a few seconds to read, in reality it happens in less then a second or two and becomes a part of the natural motion of the cast. The key is in having the line tight between either your palm or index finger and the spool 'before" you start to reel.

The other culpret is a loose loop on the spool created during the retrieve by a pull or jerking of the lure and letting the tip back down without reeling, creating slack in the line and possibly resulting in a loose wrap or two or an actual open loop on the spool that will be pulled off prematurely on the next cast and voila!!! Another wind knot.

Wether one type of braid is more inclined to develop windknots I have no idea, I only use power pro. However I think the lighter the line the better the chances of mishaps occuring.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it! Hopefully this little bit of insight will help you, or someone else who needs it and is having problems with the dreaded windknot! :eek:Good Luck.

And yes.... as they say. Practice makes perfect!;):)

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Keeper has it right. Check your spool out when doing a lot of casting. Eventually you will notice a loose loop of line sticking off your spool. This usually happens from flipping the bail by using the reel handle. The first turn will sometimes result in one loop on the spool that isn't tight. As you reel in more loops are laid over the loose loop but the loose loop still stiks out. Every cast you make after that will pull on the loose loop. Eventually it will pull that loop off the spool before it is supposed to come off. What you end up with is a bunch of wraps of line around your line and when you pull tight it forms a knot. Best way to prevent this is to manually flip your bail then give the line one good tug to eliminate that loose loop. We taped a show once plugging for stripers. Made one cast and lucked out by finding the loops of line coming off the spool before it was their turn. Will see if I can find that shot and post a picture of it.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
40 years experience is hard to beat! :thumbsup:

Whenever i switched lines, got a new reel, new rod, or combination of all that (in my admittedly lower experience level:)) I would often experience wind knots. I once went through an entire spool of Suffix due to windknots, and promptly declared that Suffix sucked! But i was wrong...it was user error!

What I learned is that I have to pay close attention to the reel after the cast, during the retrieve, and especially before the next cast. Sometimes I noticed, before I started retrieving, that the line was laying across the top of the spool! Sometimes i noticed a little loop (as mentioned above) sticking out in my spool before casting! Both situations could result in a wind knot if not corrected. It's also possible that your casting ability is too good for the combination of that particular reel and your rod/guide set up, but that's beyond my knowledge. (What im saying is that even w/ the ultimate reel and rod set up, you may still experience wind knots).

So, here's how i solved my problems. In one case (brand new custom rod, fancy reel= wind knots) it was determined that my reel was over spooled. Now it casts like a dream!

In the case of my more used, familiar equipment, I simply pulled the rod slightly to be sure I had tension on the lure before I started reeling (while making sure the line wasn't across the spool)-- Problem solved!:D

Your line doesn't have to be spooled on tightly (hard to do w/ light lures), just properly! Even if you have it "professionally" spooled, it's all gone after the first cast!!:)

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
windknots

Here's what I'm saying......

Is your line spooled on "tight" from the get go? If not the line might dig into itself on the spool during the retrieve, bringing a loose loop out before its time on the next cast and voila! windknot.
Is your spool filled to high? If so, that makes the previous and following scenarios even easier to happen.

No bail? Me either. Here's what I do.

When casting I take the line off the roller with the left hand and grab it with the right index finger. This leaves the line roller at the bottom left quarter of the reel for the cast. At the end of the cast I will have the rod tip as low as I can. As the lure is "about" to hit the water I put the open left hand between the rod and the line comming off the spool, grabbing the line with the open palm and pushing down and out as I raise the rod tip towards the top. Usually this results with the line on the roller, and tension on the roller, palm and the tip of the rod. If all has worked as discribed I continue raising the tip while releasing the line from the left palm and begin the retrieve with tension on the line.

If that move doesn't get the line on the roller on the first try I immediately close the left hand on the line, bring it up and grab it against the reel seat with the right index finger while still lifting the rod tip towards the top, and "with some tension on the line" begin reeling and the roller picks the line out from under my finger and my retrieve is underway.

While this takes a guy like me a minute or two to type, and a few seconds to read, in reality it happens in less then a second or two and becomes a part of the natural motion of the cast. The key is in having the line tight between either your palm or index finger and the spool 'before" you start to reel.

The other culpret is a loose loop on the spool created during the retrieve by a pull or jerking of the lure and letting the tip back down without reeling, creating slack in the line and possibly resulting in a loose wrap or two or an actual open loop on the spool that will be pulled off prematurely on the next cast and voila!!! Another wind knot.

Wether one type of braid is more inclined to develop windknots I have no idea, I only use power pro. However I think the lighter the line the better the chances of mishaps occuring.

This is my story and I'm sticking to it! Hopefully this little bit of insight will help you, or someone else who needs it and is having problems with the dreaded windknot! :eek:Good Luck.

And yes.... as they say. Practice makes perfect!;):)

Thanks for your insights Keeper and homer... i will do as instructed next time out. i do agree that there may be more than one factor involved in the dreaded wind knot. i may end up respooling with PP, harsh as it can be, it seems to be more forgiving. I initially had the reel spooled by a reputable tackle dealer in the area so i lean towards not thinking that a spooling error is the cause of my problems. thanks to everyone for your input!!!!

·
Registered
990 Posts
Please also check to make sure that the line roller is spinning freely when there is tension on it. If it is freezing up, you will also get major Windknots.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Jeez, I thought that they still had line rollers! Am I wrong? I looked at a picture and think I am Right, but who knows anymore?
Even line rollers with bearings will get salt build up and start stickin.

Hi FISH BUCKET! I hope that you and your family are well?
I feel better depending on the day - some times better than others.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.