BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone who can install a Windlass in the area of LBI. I have a 25' GW and probably looking to put a Lewmar 700 Profish free fall or if anyone can recommend a brand that is user friendly and won't corrode or cause any problems. Also I would like to have a remote control as an option on there as well if there is such a thing. Boat is dry dock right now in Tuckerton area until put in water and then is at Beach Haven West for the season. Appreciate any input would be helpful. Does anyone out there offer any discounts for Barners?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Have you considered "Good Windlass," right in Barnegat? I have an old Lewmar, but there is a lot of positive feedback about Good on this site. When the time comes for me to replace, that's the way I'm going to go.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What "Good Windlass" would you recommend for 25' GW. Why a Good over Lewmar, I thought Lewmar was highly rated? What problems if any is Lewmar giving you that would make you want to switch? Do you know where in LBI area where Wind Windlass is located?

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
What "Good Windlass" would you recommend for 25' GW. Why a Good over Lewmar, I thought Lewmar was highly rated? What problems if any is Lewmar giving you that would make you want to switch? Do you know where in LBI area where Wind Windlass is located?
I'm not familiar with the Good model numbers, so I can't make a recommendation.

I'm recommending Good over Lewmar based on the threads I've read here the last few years. I don't recall seeing a bad comment yet about them, and everyone I've seen that has one raves about it.

Not really looking to pick on Lewmar, but I work with the older model on my boat, and a newer model on my friend's boat, and find that they have a tendency to misbehave if you are not using the expensive 8-plait rode. That gets old.

Not really sure I can post a link to Good, as I don't believe they are a sponsor, but just Google "Good Windlass Barnegat" and all the info comes right up. They are so close to us that I think you kind of have to at least give them a look.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the reply Joey. I located them on 72 and I pass it every weekend coming from Philly and never knew they were there. Priced them on line and they are double the cost for Lewmar, looks like Good is smaller for the same torque as Lewmar.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Thanks for the reply Joey. I located them on 72 and I pass it every weekend coming from Philly and never knew they were there. Priced them on line and they are double the cost for Lewmar, looks like Good is smaller for the same torque as Lewmar.
Go with the GOOD. I have a 25' Chris Craft Tournament Express and have the GOOD AFDw300 1/2" rope only windlass and use a #14 Delta Plow anchor. I do not have any chain on mine and have never had it slip on me. The GOOD AFD rope only does NOT have to be tied off as the Lewmar does when at anchor. It has a lock out type 3 position toggle on the dashboard and the on deck unit is made from ALMAG, it won't corrode. Give them a call and see what their pricing is and they do installations as well. They also service what they sell right there in Barnegat. Also,
the rope that GOOD sells for their units is color coded at different intervals to mark the depths of rode that is out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts