BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a fisherman and a boat driver, I just lost my breakfast.
Hats off to the fishermen who found a way to profit from this.

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Egghead, I'm not really sure what you're saying about this, but I'm all for it. We've got a great resource right off the coast that has an infinite supply of energy and we're not taking advantage of it. I don't think they'll be seen from shore, and if they are, just barely. Birds hear them and stay away from them, and as for fishing, that's some extra stucture out there. I know if they put them up I'll be out there on the lookout for some dolphin.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Ahhhh... much better! I am all for using resources like that!

Just think of the fishing possabilities as well. They will probably hold fish like the oil rigs do in the gulf.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Bob ECT said:
Never happen, cost isn't worth it. Even Corzine can see that
wind power is one of the most cost effective power sources ever and its clean think about it if there were enough wind mills out there we could shut down 3 mile island and the bay might be worth somethin again

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
How fast do they have to spin for birds to get caught in them?:confused:

I like the idea....That and solar panels.....

·
Registered
31,378 Posts
CatchinaBuzz said:
wind power is one of the most cost effective power sources ever and its clean think about it if there were enough wind mills out there we could shut down 3 mile island and the bay might be worth somethin again
Not when you have to put them 16 miles out in the ocean. It's going to cost billions. Even Corzines committee thought it was way too expensive.

·
Registered
840 Posts
There seems to be a lot not said in that article. Will the areas be open to fish or closed for security reasons? Why would Cohen of CM fisheries support this if it would affect commercial fishing? Doesnt make sense to me. 6 miles off the beach of A. C. sounds like the beginning of the reef areas??

·
Registered
3,576 Posts
If it were to happen, it would be structure at least for flatties to surround, tog and seabass to hang on.

·
Registered
16,292 Posts
Waste of money. How bout those windmills on the left as you come into AC on the expressway? I've never seen them spin when I've gone by? You'd have to dot every mile of the country with windmills for them to generate enough power to make much of a difference, the costs would be astronomical. Make no mistake what this is about, it's about the dollars those who build and install windmills stand to make off them. End of story.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
filletone said:
There seems to be a lot not said in that article. Will the areas be open to fish or closed for security reasons? Why would Cohen of CM fisheries support this if it would affect commercial fishing? Doesnt make sense to me. 6 miles off the beach of A. C. sounds like the beginning of the reef areas??
While I was on the Mid-Atlantic COuncil there were several proposals for windmill farms. In each and every one of them there was a "security zone" (this is post 9/11 after all) around them, and no one would be allowed to moor or tie off to them either.

If spread far enough apart, you could theorhetically drift between them, but most were laid out that once you took away the security buffer zone, you'd need an awfully skinny boat to drift between them!

This info is dated, so perhaps some changes have been made, but it's not likely.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
CaptG said:
Waste of money. How bout those windmills on the left as you come into AC on the expressway? I've never seen them spin when I've gone by? You'd have to dot every mile of the country with windmills for them to generate enough power to make much of a difference, the costs would be astronomical. Make no mistake what this is about, it's about the dollars those who build and install windmills stand to make off them. End of story.
http://www.acua.com/alternative/a_faq_answer.cfm?id=52
The ACUA facility requires approximately 2.5 megawatts of power each day so that when the wind is above 12 miles per hour all of the electricity required to run the plant can be generated by only two of the five wind turbines with the remaining power sold the main power grid. It is anticipated that 40% of the electricity required by the plant on a annual basis will be provided by the wind turbines.

It sounds like they are effective in this location. I'm not sure how they would work located 6 miles at sea. Maintenance on the generators and the transmission lines would be very expensive. But we gotta try something besides giving our money to arabs.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Think about this. They would set these up in the areas of the shallowest water out there. So any inshore lumps would be used. The shallow water would cut the cost of building. And I think it would shut down the fishing in and around the waters by them. It would have to be some sort of security risk to be around them, according to homeland security. I mean you are allowd the fish right up on the oil rigs in the gulf but they don't have giant blades that travel a mile(at the tip) in one rotation. I don't see why they can't just make a wind park out there, in one area. Why do they have to run them from Atlantic City to Cape May. If an under water wire breaks would it kill all the fish in the area? Since salt water is more conductive then fresh? I think you can see 7 1/2 miles to the horizen before the curve of the Earth hinders line of sight. So I guess at 16 miles you wouldn't see them. If they let us fish around them I am for them. IF not then no way!! We, as a state, have other issues to address before we start going after the energy issue. Would the electric just get piped to North Jersey? Like everything else from down here?

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
$1B sound a little light for a project like that 16 miles offshore. What is the deal with the fishing consortium proposing the project? Why would they do this if there was going to be a safety buffer surrounding them preventing boats from fishing the structure?

I have seen the AC windmills spinning many times, they spin at a very low RPM.

RyanF

·
Registered
768 Posts
I like the idea myself as long as:

1) We can fish in them, through them, by them, etc. It doesn't seem logistically possible to patrol those area effectivley without spending millions of dollars in fuel costs yearly to do so. Not to mention they are merely windmills, except for their cost, there is no inherent risk as a target. A nuclear power plant yes, a big metal pole with a gear box, not so much.

2) they do not destroy ALL popular fishing spots already in exsistance. I can see having to compromise building on some of the lumps but not all of them.

And scattering them is done to prevent dead zones and average the production. Not to mention if you stack them together they start blocking wind from the mills behind/around them.

Maintence seems like a bear, but we need to harness the oceans power so we can cut our coal burners to a minimum. Its a free lunch out there in terms of energy and we might as well try to take advantage. I have heard the wave buoy's are cheaper and more efficent though and less of an eye sore, Not that i think the turbines are ugly, better than not being able to see through the smog if we don't make some changes.

But my main concerns are "control" of the ocean in terms of security zones. Even with all the regulation now, when you're on the ocean you're pretty much free in a lot of ways.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I am a huge fan of the windmills. I actually pay to get my electricity from renewable sources and the ACUA windmills are one of those sources. In my case, it is about $60 more a month. That's about double what an "average" homeowner would spend.

In my opinion, it is everyone's responsibility to help reduce our dependence on coal, oil and nuclear energy production. Coal just isn't clean enough. We all know the myriad problems with petroleum. We haven't found a secure and ecologically sound method for storing spent nuclear material, and cooling water intake removes thousands of fish from the Delaware Bay(in our local case).

There has yet to be a bird fatality due to striking a blade at the ACUA facility, eventhough the tips of those blades are moving near 100 mph. The windmills at the ACUA have heads that rotate into the wind and vary the pitch of the blades to maximize efficiency of the generators. However, it is true that there isn't always enough wind to turn those blades.

Even if you can't fish right on the windmill bases, doesn't it make sense to increase and improve habitat for the fish that we all care so deeply about?

1 - 20 of 57 Posts