BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
PSEG proposes 96 wind turbines off NJ coast
By Steve Gelsi, MarketWatch

NEWARK, N.J. (MarketWatch) -- PSEG and Winergy Power Holdings on Tuesday proposed what could be the first major offshore wind-power project in the U.S., a 350-megawatt phalanx of 96 giant turbines, 16 miles off the shore of southern New Jersey.
While similar projects have been proposed off the coast of Massachusetts and Delaware, the New Jersey wind farm is in the running to be the first one developed.
The PSEG venture, called Garden State Offshore Energy, could start operations in 2013. The Newark, N.J.-based utility said its wind-farm bid was submitted to the state's Office of Clean Energy, which was launched by the New Jersey Board of Public Utilities.
Nelson Garcez, vice president of renewable generation for PSEG, said the project doesn't necessarily depend on the renewable tax credit extension now under debate in Washington.
While that extension would be welcome, "we're not counting on tax credits," Garcez said.
Winergy Power Holdings of New York was formed to explore opportunities for offshore wind development on the eastern coast of the U.S. Its offices handle permitting, development and engineering, PSEG said.
If chosen by the state, the project is expected to apply for permits and conduct additional feasibility and environmental studies. The decision to build as well as final location, design and construction schedules could be affected by these studies. No timetable has been set for approval of the bids.
PSEG and Winergy said they will form a community advisory committee made up of local residents, elected and tourism officials as well as community, environmental and local business leaders.
"We've located the project as far offshore as possible in order to make offshore wind a positive resource for everyone," said Chris Wissemann, chief operating officer of Winergy. "New Jersey has been at the forefront on promoting solar energy and, with this project, it will move to the cutting edge of offshore wind power as well."

Steve Gelsi is a reporter

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
I can not wait!! you know what kind of fish are going to hold in that farm!!!

EVERYTHING!!

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
sportfishingusa said:
I can not wait!! you know what kind of fish are going to hold in that farm!!!

EVERYTHING!!
I wouldn't look forward to it too much. If this ever happens, these will be very different structures than oil rigs in the gulf and you won't be allowed to fish anywhere near them like you can with oil rigs. A significant area around the wind farm will be declared off limits.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
:D Well if thats the case then i will blow them up! lol

:eek: KAAABOOOOOOOM! :eek:

·
Registered
815 Posts
fishhard said:
i would think if they let you fish around some oil rigs they would let you fish around this as well.
This is New Jersey:( I'm surprissed we don't need permission to walk out the house:eek:

·
Registered
815 Posts
When this came up on the board last year I was thinking the same thing "structure". When you really think about it all it would do is give us less area to fish. Suppose they are all together in one area, and they close off the whole area to fishing. How many wrecks and spots that people fish will be closed off:confused: When you think about the way politics are in NJ there is no way that we "fisherman" will be allowed anywhere near these things. Just ask any of the old timers that fished the Navy Pier in the Raritan Bay. I have fished near it and been told to move...If you don't they will shoot you out of the water. These windmills would do just fine on land, with less controversy.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
fishhard said:
i would think if they let you fish around some oil rigs they would let you fish around this as well.
The business end of a wind turbine will be much closer to the water than the platform of a oil rig. An oil rig does not have a revolving turbine that is many times a wide as its supporting structure. An oil platform is not nearly as susceptible to damage from a recreational vessel as a wind turbine.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Well guess i will have to find a way to break them! hahah :D :p

I got you all covered! just got to make sure my insurance in renewed.. do not like my boat anymore anyway!

Crash and burn boys. lol hahah j/k :rolleyes:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Don't know about the wind turbines being proposed for NJ, but the ones proposed for DE are to have the lower tips of their blades 100ft off the water. At the meetings I attended, fishing was going to be allowed around the bases of the windturbines.

The way I look at it is that this would put 96 "mini reefs" in NJ to fish around.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
Reef-RunnerII said:
Don't know about the wind turbines being proposed for NJ, but the ones proposed for DE are to have the lower tips of their blades 100ft off the water. At the meetings I attended, fishing was going to be allowed around the bases of the windturbines.

The way I look at it is that this would put 96 "mini reefs" in NJ to fish around.

From a windfarm website:

Will they interfere with fishing?
Given the relatively small area of seabed that is required there is no evidence to suggest that total fish catch will decline as a result of wind farm developments; if anything the opposite is true. Fish stocks have been in decline for many years due to overfishing. Many environmental groups believe that wind farms will provide welcome sanctuary for fish spawning as well as refuge from intensive fisheries activity.

If they are being touted a fish "sanctuary" and a "refuge" from fishing, it doesn't sound like fishing will be allowed to me.

·
Registered
457 Posts
This from the Blue Water Wind website, the company trying to get this done off deleware.

Fishing and Boating

Can there be recreational and commercial fishing and boating at a wind park?

Can there be recreational and commercial fishing and boating at a wind park?

• Boating and fishing activities around the wind park will continue. These activities will likely even be enhanced since the turbine foundations quickly transform into artificial reefs, creating a widespread fish haven that is a boon to fishing and scuba diving.
  • Offshore turbines are spaced about one-half mile apart, providing ample room for boating and fishing vessels to move safely within the wind park.
  • There is no blanket "exclusionary zone" for boaters and fishermen, other than a ten-meter (33 feet) navigation prudent caution zone around the base of each turbine.
Check out the get the facts page, it looks like we should be allowed to fish.

http://www.bluewaterwind.com/facts.htm?cat=delaware#57

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
Shame they don't push it out to 25-30 mile range. Guess that would mean a few more miles of conductors though and would be very expensive. It probably would make for a good inshore trolling ground though. I'm down with the idea.

·
Registered
4,930 Posts
seaveyor said:
I hope Cohen won't charge us a fee for fishing next to the structure.
Dream on and mark my words. If these things get built and even if fishing is inititally allowed in order to quell potential political opposition, it will be only a matter of a year or two before some excuse is concocted to prohit fishing near them. Most obvious excuse: "Experience has revealed that boaters are routinely violating the 33 foot buffer zone, thereby endangering themselves and the equipment. Accordingly, it order to protect boaters and expensive equipment on which thousands rely for clean, green power, we reluctantly find it necessary to prohibit boats within 1000 feet of the turbines. Violators will be photographed and prosecuted." Don't believe it? Wait and see.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts