BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember seeing a post last year for winter flounder chum, someones secret recipe, i wrote it down and have since lost it, if anyone could repost it, or give some other recipes, it would be greatly appreciated, i am going to try some south jersey spots this year, some mud flats
that i found in the summer months that i think could produce, some winter flatties early on in march, the reason being last week while fishing for herring behind stone harbor, i caught a small winter flounder about 8 inches long, on a shad dart with a twister tail, and i think if you set out to actually fish for them you might be able to actually put together a nice catch

·
Registered
38 Posts
WE USED TO CATCH LOTS OF WINTER FLOUNDER IN LUDLAMS BAY IN BACK OF SEA ISLE.WE USED RICE AND GROUND MUSSLES FOR CHUM.IM SURE YOU COULD CATCH THEM THERE STILL.WE USED TO RENT GARVEYS FROM MR LOU VITTELO.HE GONE NOW AND I DONT THINK THE PRESENT OWNERS OPEN UP THIS EARLY SO YOU WOULD HAVE TO HAVE YOUR OWN BOAT.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
nick: some of the spots i am talking about are all mud bottom, they are about 8ft deep at high tide and 3ft deep at low tide, what i was thinking of doing was wading just above these mud flats, about half way through the outgoing, with a couple of chum pots attached to me, also using my feet to act as a plunger to stir up the bottom, i know this sounds a little crazy, but i have found a few spots where this can actually be done, and i have all the right equiptment to keep me warm, so I'm going to give it a shot, never waded for winter flatties before, but you never know!

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Do you harvest the Mussels yourself?

I've seen mussel beds on rocks around jetties or on the bottom of wade-able shores. Can I just walk out and rip some off a rock?

Or - Do you buy them?
And if you buy them, does it matter what type? (Obviously, I'm not gonna buy imported, but can I just buy some Cheap Black mussels?)

Thanks

GoNavy

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Pick your own is great because they will be fresh. You can just walk off the roadside on the meadow and check along any small tidal creek. You can find lots of the larger ribbed mussels with their tips just sticking out of the mud.

We made some great chum using mussels and canned jack mackerel from the grocery store. About $.99 a can. We always took something along to stir up the bottom. Stirred mud seems to bring the winters into your chum slick. The chum will get the grass shrimp and other little crawley things moving in and thats what the winters feed on.

We would take some old sash weights and throw them out on a rope then drag them back to the boat. Always stirred up the bottom. If you do catch any check their stomachs. Looks like a lot of bugs inside. These are the little feaf hoppers and other dodads that live in clumps of seaweed. They make up a large portion of their diet. Find muddy bottom with lots of weeds and you will usually find feeding flounder.

We fished with a three hook rig. One with bloodworm. One with nightcrawler and the last with clam. Caught more on the worm and seemed an even split with the bloods and crawlers. Only thing was the crawlers would wash out fast and had to be changed more often. The clam always seemed to produce the larger fish.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Chunking (or others in the "Know.")

Is there any laws that I need to consider when harvesting these little guys?

Size (Hey, it matters?)
Volume = How many (Too much can get you in trouble.)
Time (MMDDYYYY or Military YYDDMM)

Thanks For all the help

Cya

GoNavy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.