BASS BARN banner

winter flounder questions

1K views 36 replies 22 participants last post by  underdog 
#1 ·
I read somewhere that almost all the winter founder in New Jersey are caught north of LBI. Is this true? What is the best way to target winter flounder? Do they stay all winter or do they leave when it gets really cold like the stripers?

#7 ·
The seasons opens march 23rd. And no i dont think its illegal to catch them and throw them back. I was going to do the same and give them a shot on a warm winter day. I know people go fishing for fluke in april to see if they are around before the season opens.

#11 ·
When I was a kid, we would cacth winter flounder In tuckerton. Off 7 brigdes road in early march. did'nt know about a season back then. someone did tell me that during the closed season you could fish for them, but you could not keep, kill, or posess. but I don't know if that's true.

#12 ·
They really cant outlaw catching them in a closed season. Its kind of hard to prove exactly what your fishing for. I meen you can say your fishing for perch or what not if the F&G were to ask. Closed season means closed for possession in my eyes. Nothing states you cant target them for fun. Same goes for trout. What happens when your fishing for LMB and you hook a few trout when the seasons closed? is that illegal? Just something to think about.

#14 ·
If your asked by F&G what your fishing for, tell them your fishing for Fun & Relaxation. I don't think there is a law on that one. Or is there? Furthest South I've heard the tasty ones caught was Manahawkin. But It shows that they are caught further South. Good to know. As far as the Legal Laws, I'm not sure. Matt.

#16 ·
Originally posted by LilFisherman:
They really cant outlaw catching them in a closed season. Its kind of hard to prove exactly what your fishing for. I meen you can say your fishing for perch or what not if the F&G were to ask. Closed season means closed for possession in my eyes. Nothing states you cant target them for fun. Same goes for trout. What happens when your fishing for LMB and you hook a few trout when the seasons closed? is that illegal? Just something to think about.
They cannot prove that you were fishing for winter flounder, but if it's obvious, they're gonna nail you if they want to. Just like fishing the 5 fathom bank for bluefish in the fall & spring: if you are catching nothing but stripers, you better move!

#17 ·
I always fished for winter flounder at the Manasquan Inlet from Oct-Dec. It was better in the fall as they were rushing in with water temp drops. The cheap Sabiki rigs (Marathon, .99 at Dick's) would produce double headers frequently. Many individuals would fill buckets with them. Catchs of 50 were not uncommon if you spent the day there. Then it was unlimited at 11 inches, now it's 10 at 12 inches, no fall season. You think they could have at least left the fall season with such strict new regs.

#18 ·
I wouldn't call being able to keep 10 fish a day "strict" regulations. You couldn't eat that much in a week unless you really, really, really tried to, or unless you're feeding a huge family. Unlimited fish of any kind is absurd. While I don't necessarily agree with them closing the fall/winter season, I do agree with their current regulations on size and creel limits.

#20 ·
I know the the people that fish for them in Ocean city area and sea isle area do hook up. I read an article in the Nj Fisherman about how over looked the southern fishery is. I will be giving it a shot out of my kayak in Ocean city for the flundies when the season opens. The best spot that i know of though is around **** **** when its realllllly cold out. Also a good place to hook your first bass of the year!!

[ 01-04-2006, 10:54 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

#22 ·
Just hung up the phone with Fish and Game. I was told you can fish for them as long as you let them go.
I've fished for them the past couple of years in a lot of spots in Barnegat Bay, last year was the only bad year we had.

Remember the key is chum chum chum if you want to catch'em

#23 ·
LAST YEAR WAS HORRIBLE, ur not kidding there scarface. Thanks for that piece of info. I kinda figurd it was legal to just go out and catch them for the fun of it. Maybe this weekend ill give it a shot just to see if they showd in good numbers this year. See ya

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.