BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Not sure where you are located or looking to go. Historically the bay from Ship Bottom up to Loveladies is good in a boat. When I was young I caught a lot of winter flounder from the bayside down the street from the shop but the dirt lot now has a couple of houses on it. There are a few areas that I know of if you wanna fish from land.

Email me or catch me at the shop. I can point you in the "right direction."

FYI: Season opens March 23 - 2 Fish @ 12"

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I started fishing with my Grandmother when I was 6 years old....(I'm 52 now)....and Winter Flounder is what I cut my teeth on in the back bays of Ocean City. We used to fish from a public dock down the street from Granny's house, she tied her own rigs using those little gold worm hooks, and fished right next to the pilings with bloodworm. We would catch a dozen every time we went. Back then there were no regulations, we would start about this time of year, but even then Granny used a 1 foot wooden ruler, and wouldn't keep any fish that weren't at least 12" long because (as she would say)..."it's not worth cleaning a fish that only gives you one mouth full"......

Some time in the 70's the Winter Flounder disappeared from these waters, and I didn't see one until early winter of 2008 while tossing a small black Finness Fish at the Stripers, a Winter Flatty tried to hit it, and I snag hooked it from outside of it's mouth. It surprised the heck out of me that a fish with suck a small mouth would try to hit an artificial that size, and for the fact that it was the first Winter Flounder I had personally seen in well over 30 years......

I just might go back to that dock on the 23rd, and give it a try, maybe they'll make a return appearance here, but for the last few years the only place I've heard that they are caught with any regularity is farther up north......

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Who goes winter floundering and where?
Guess u need boat?
Dont know where you are located.But up north we fished the Manasquan river,shark river,Navesink,Shrewsbury,and Raritan Bay area from a dock bulk head pier etc. The row boat rental docks must have had 25% of thier rentals go bye bye since they rewrote the rules a few years back.You are only allowed two keepers now per angler.Quincy Mass,and Long Island were real good when I was younger make in the middle ages. I may hit it in a few weeks for a shake down cruise pick up a dozen bloods some night crawlers from the yard a few clams and chum chum chum and did I say chum? I will try it by the ammo pier area along the Raritan bay south shore .Keansburgh has a pay fishing pier thta may be good .But all this is in north Jersey

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
I remember going on St Patricks day for flounder with my dad in the early 70's. We would either go at Capt. Starns in AC or hit a spot up in Barnaget. We used to rent small rowboat up at Barnaget and remember my dad having blisters after rowing out and back. We would catch a small cooler full of winter flounder and I do remember catching some other fish (small ling or whiting?) but not keeping them.
Right after this would gear up for mackeral and freshwater trout right before Easter.
Oh, the good old days!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.