BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will anyone be fishing for these guys soon after March 1st??? Was looking at my log book, and saw that I caught a few two years ago on March 11 using mussel as bait (fished on central NJ from a small aluminum boat)....I plan to fish for winter flounder at least a few times this year, before the striped ones get real active......Mike

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Mike, Thanks For The Reminder.. Everyone Gets
Caught Up With the Opening Of Striped Bass
Season on 3/1,alot of times they forget
Winter Flattie Season also opens up and is a very
productive fishery in the spring...
I watched many fishermen come back to dock and
even off the sodbanks in Barnegat Bay last
Spring with some impressive catches...

Here is a Winter Flounder Tip Sheet Supplied
by FishermansHeadquarters - Check It Out :
Winter Flounder

[ 02-25-2005, 02:18 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hey Guys,

I'm new to the flounder game too...
I'm not looking for any spots, but just wondering
if there is any decent action for these fish along the S. Jersey coast? Most of the stuff I've read says that populations are along the northern beaches. Also, would I have a decent shot at them by fishing some of the back bays from shore since I am w/o a boat?

Thanks

·
Registered
173 Posts
There seems to be a mendoza line so to speak when it comes to the range for these tasty fish and I believe it is the Rt.72 Bridge in Ship Bottom. I have caught them while Bass fishing south of the bridge in Osborn Island near Graveling Point but my efforts to target them there never really worked out past 3 or 4 fish. Most years you can catch them right on the 1st of March with most fish within a mile of the bridge. As the water warms they begin to spread northward along the intercoastal. In May they the ocean will be calling as the water gets to warm. As they leave the warm confines of the bay the last few days can be a winter Flounder Blitz as waves of fish head for the ocean. Correct positioning of your boat can be key. And chum chum chum. woof

·
Registered
920 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the tip link Steve...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts