BASS BARN banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
542 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, what do ya'll use?

Myself, my shallow bait is usually 50lb Seaguar. The medium and deep baits, 60lb test.

I do remember last season catching a nice 80lb Yellowfin on a 120' deep sword bait and 300lb test leader, so go figure.

How about you?

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I use 60 lb flouro 9 out of 10 times.. Havent had a problem gettin them to bite.. :D

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Go light

We start with 50 for YFT. Often drop down to 30 if they aren't biting. Deep lines will have 80. More than once we weren't getting bites and switching to 30 turned them on.

·
Banned
1,231 Posts
PINK Yozuri 60# flouro (as invisible as 30-40# standard flouro, and as strong as 80# standard flouro = lots of dead fish :).

Buy the larger sized coils in the bag (vs. 30 or 100 yd. spools); much more economical.

Tight Lines,

Frank

·
Registered
411 Posts
my standard size to start is 80 if we mark fish and their leader shy i use 50 sometimes down to 30 had a nice 300# big eye on 50 and the leader handled it great

130 for swords in case they get bill wrapped and chaff the line 80 maybe to high and to noticeable but theirs only been one trip that the fish were leader shy

·
Registered
534 Posts
We start with 100lbs and drop down if we aren't getting bites, especially when we are marking fish. It's rare we fish less than 80 and typically we do very well on the chunk. The only time I have noticed the lighter stuff matters is when it's a day bight. Having a slightly heavier leader may result in fewer bites but when you get the right one you'll have a much batter chance of putting the fish in the boat. The odds are stacked against you catching a 200lb bigeye or a sword on even 100lbs leader nevermind 60 or god forbid 40lbs. Not saying it can't be done, but your not doing yourselves any favors.

More important than lighter leader, we have found using a long leader (10 feet or more), hiding the hook in the bait well, and then securing the sinker at least twenty feet away from the bait will make a difference in the number of fish you catch. The other thing that I think can make a difference is to stretch and straighten your leader before putting it in the water and try not to handle the line with your bare hands if possible.

Finally having a good hard working crew is probably the most important component to catching well on the chunk. You need to have people consistently throwing chunks all night and you need to be constantly working lines until its time to go on the troll. I firmly believe the harder your crew works the more fish you'll catch.

·
Registered
9,997 Posts
Good info... I've never had the guts to break out the Pink Fluoro. while offshore. The guys would tell me to put it away.:D
Man up dude!

Pink has always been preferable to clear line. Sport Fish mag had a picture of many different lines under water, clear being the most visible. Smoke, blue, red, multi color, and especially pink were much more camouflaged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts