BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my first year with outboards. From what I have heard it isn't to hard to winterize the engines, but I don't want to overlook anything. What do some of you out there do? I know I need to flush and fog the engines, spray down the engines with silicone. Any products you would recommend over another? Anything I'm forgetting?
Thanks-Pistol

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
Pistol,

I also drain and refill the lower unit oil , pull the plugs and shoot just a squirt of wd40 in each, fill up with gas and add fuel stablizer.

Scarface

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
Put the fuel stabilizer in the tank before your last trip out, so it will get somewhat run through the system. Putting it in and running the motor on the muff's isn't enough.

I spray the fogger into the spark plugs, not WD-40, I don't know if it makes a difference. I also take the tires off my trailer and put it up on jack stands for the winter, to preserve the tires.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Pistol,

Looks like the replies so far have the bases covered. I also remove my starting battery and store in my office where it's nice and warm.

·
Registered
234 Posts
If you go to the Boat/US website, they have several "articles" on what to do. Basically, add fuel stabilizer and go for a quick run to disperse it into the fuel evenly, fog the cylanders with fogging oil and then replace the spark plugs, drain and refiull lower unit oil, if two years or 100 hours, replace the water-pump, before putting the cowl back on, spray down the block with a light coat of WD-40, place an absorbant sponge (to reduce humidity) under the cowl before replacing it. This will decrease the humidity under the cowl in the spring when the days are warm and nights are cold. Helps the "little things" not rust.

Here's the link:
http://www.boatus.com/winter/

-scott K.

[ 11-07-2004, 10:10 AM: Message edited by: Special-K ]

·
Registered
11,647 Posts
One more thing. Pull off the prop nut, thrust washer and prop. Clean off the shaft and regrease and put all back together. DON'T FORGET THE COTTER PIN!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Change any and all fuel water separaters, are the motors HPDI'S if so drain the vst tank. Spray motor with CRC 656 and trim pump and tilt rams with the same. Put antifreeze in wash down pumps and any and all holding tanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts