BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some questions for you wire line pros out there

1. What is the best knot used to connect braid to wire? I have attached photos of the knot that was used and hoping someone might recognize which type of knot it is. This was rigged where I purchased the set ups.

2. What do you guys do to maintain the spools from getting all pitted and corroded? I left the wire on the reel from the spring run until the fall run when I was done fishing for the year and it caused some damage to my spools .I was surprised to see the damage caused in such a short period of time, I wash and rinse all my gear after each use but I guess I will have to remove the wire after the spring run and re-rig in the fall. I have attached pictures of the damage and I am hoping to get through this year b/4 replacing the spools.

I appreciate any and all advise as using these wire line setups are still relatively new to me, thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
692 Posts
That looks like some heavy braid! I have done the knot to mono and I actually prefer just getting those small power swivels(the ones that are just cylinder shaped) in as small as possible- think they are like 75# or something- spro makes them... That is some serious pitting- I like the 113hs with the chrome spool for wire- for that reason... I would give a shot of corrosion x or wd40 after the trips

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
Looks like a Bimini twist in the braid from the pic you posted and connected the haywire twist via loop to loop connection.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Wrong reel..............use a Penn 4/0 with the chrome over brass spool and use 40 pound mono with 40 pound Monel wire Albright knot. The braid will hold water combine that with the salt and dissimilar metals of the reel and wire line and your reel is ready for the garbage.

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
like they said the wire loop is a haywire twist, the braid knot looks like a bimini twist An Albright knot can be used to connect the two also. The reel you need is 113 h2sp penn. (4/0) Diawa also makes a wire line 4/0 reel they are made for stainless wire or monel wire. Which will corrode an aluminum spool reel with dissimilar metals. Some guys here use a level wind and Tony Maja has a signature reel that seems to work.out well for him. The penn reel has a chrome over brass spool which will hold up much better then an aluminum one.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a Bimini twist in the braid from the pic you posted and connected the haywire twist via loop to loop connection.
Thanks justfish it is a bimini twist which I just learned how to tie, so I connected that to the wire via a double loop to loop and that seemed to hold pretty well. It is a shame Shimano doesn't make a stainless spool for the Tekota series reel as this is a great reel and I like the advantage of using the line counter. Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate the advice

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That looks like some heavy braid! I have done the knot to mono and I actually prefer just getting those small power swivels(the ones that are just cylinder shaped) in as small as possible- think they are like 75# or something- spro makes them... That is some serious pitting- I like the 113hs with the chrome spool for wire- for that reason... I would give a shot of corrosion x or wd40 after the trips
It is heavy braid ( 60 lb hollow core) but with this set up about I was able to land a 200lb bluefin last fall while fishing for stripers which I never imagined doing so I would like to stick with the heavier braid for that reason. The small power swivel isn't a bad idea but if I had been using that when I hooked up with that bluefin it wouldn't have stood a chance. As for the pitting I couldn't believe that just after one season it did that much damage, even with cleaning it after each use and using some WD40....

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Thanks justfish it is a bimini twist which I just learned how to tie, so I connected that to the wire via a double loop to loop and that seemed to hold pretty well. It is a shame Shimano doesn't make a stainless spool for the Tekota series reel as this is a great reel and I like the advantage of using the line counter. Thanks to all who responded, I appreciate the advice
I love our tekotas and it is really pretty cost effective to have the spools replaced. In the fall we typically have the wire stripped the spool cleaned and re-applied prior to the fall run. We replace the spools roughly at the beginning of every fourth season and replace the wire at the beginning of every third season. This gets to on a good rotation. We are connecting loop to loop on both ends. We use hollow core braid and then a windon leader. We fish with wire a ton and having old or abused wire is one way to lose that fish of a lifetime.

·
Registered
350 Posts
In my opinion, the haywire twist and barrel role is correct, but there should be a snap swivel on its' end....there is no bimini twist in your pic....you cannot do a bimini twist on a haywire twist and barrel role....a cat's paw perhaps, but not a bimini twist.....yes, braid is far to high in strength....by incorporating a snap swivel you cn change out your lures with ease. Just my opinion and experience speaking.
Fisch

·
Registered
242 Posts
We use loop to loop connections when ever we rig wire line reels. Typically we recommend mono as backing as it seems easier on the Tekota spools.
But my question is why use hollow core line and knot it? Splice a loop it retains 100% line strength and is an almost seamless connection. Also, the loop on the wire hasn't been pulled tight enough for the cats paw to seat properly (not a properly tied knot). Also like Chompers said a windon leader with a spectra loop is a nice way to attach a leader, it slips right through the guides making landing a bass a breeze.
I guess I'm knit picking, but if your going through the trouble of rigging up a wire line reel you may as well have it perfect.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
It is heavy braid ( 60 lb hollow core) but with this set up about I was able to land a 200lb bluefin last fall while fishing for stripers which
Full stop....why are you changing a thing. That is the ultimate accomplishment. Change the wire and spool every year $200 and your done. Just a dollar a pound for the BFT = Winning!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Full stop....why are you changing a thing. That is the ultimate accomplishment. Change the wire and spool every year $200 and your done. Just a dollar a pound for the BFT = Winning!
LOL, sad thing is I could do that every year and probably never get lucky enough to land a fish like that again..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.