BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
747 Posts
Good times there, and don't forget about the water up from Lincoln Drive. There is about 3-5 miles you can walk and cast too. Don't hole up and fish corn all the time, and try crank baits etc.... Bigger fish hold over too, the schoolies are usually 6-8 inches long.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Friday 4/17, Valley Green Rd 12:30-3:30

I went out on friday, took a half day- what a nice day. I left work, had lunch and got there by 12:30. I usually start around the bridge on valley green rd in flourtown. I was so psyched at how nice the afternoon was and how I had a few hours of fishing before getting the kids from daycare.

So, I hop out, throw on the waders and boots, get my rod & vest, take a deep breath and think how nothing is going to ruin these priceless next few hours of mike time... and realize I am somehow missing my lure box- was in my vest- and should still be in my car somewhere. I nervously check the car over, not in there. I just picked up the car from the mechanic for inspection, but they just had to confirm I changed my rotors and pads, and slap stickers on. I can't imagine it fell out without me knowing, it was loaded with roosters, panthers, joe's flies, trout magnets, hooks, small jigs and split shots. I only had 1 spinner to use, a rooster tail in rainbow trout color. I was so bummed but decided not to let it get to me and I was on a mission to catch something with my one lonely lure.

The water was very calm and super clear. The sunlight made it very easy to spot movement and fish holding... I start out very cautious to make sure I do not get it stuck in a tree, something not hard to do at the wissy- I did a few times and worked it out... I walk the stream for about 30-45mins, and I must have waded out to free the lure on the bottom about 10 times, cannot pull hard with 4lb! I finally find a nice spot and get a nice 14" rainbow, surprisingly meaty too. I let him go thinking I just found my spot, and then the next few casts- bam into the tree- game over. I was so bummed, but rifled through my vest and found a little minnow jighead/spinner that I decided to try.. It was getting hit, but nothing would set itself. I found a nice spot where I could see 6-8 nice sized fish but they wanted nothing to do with this thing. They would chase it, but back off- they may have been able to see me too. I then decided to remove the snap, spinner and minnow body and rig it up with a nice ball of powerbait. That definitely increased attraction, but the fish were clearly spooked by it's weighted behavior (and head/eyes) and other than a poke here and there would not go after it. I then tried to drift it downstream on a bobber, they still were not going for it. I sighed and just wished I had my trusty lure box; which I still cannot find. I decided to finish the day off with a slide down the bank and some of that 7-minute minute itch on my hands, awesome....:rolleyes: I left around 3:30 feeling good and I considered the day a bit of a comedy routine yet a huge success considering I felt setup to fail. I only saw about 2-3 other anglers and I walked almost to the state park. Good Times!:)

·
Registered
282 Posts
I got out on Saturday for about 3 hrs around rt 73 and the bent elbow. I walked up and down but had no luck. During my last hour, I found a little spot that was deep and dense with trees so I figured I'd give it a shot for a bit. It was such a tease...there I am looking at a good sized rainbow but she wasn't going for anything. She would come out take a look and scoot back under the trees. Bummer. But, it was a gorgeous day to be out! I am hoping to get out again this Friday but I think I might change my location this time and give another area along the wissy a try...maybe down by lincoln drive like wardman suggested. I've been meaning to get there anyway because the waters there look like they might hold some heftier fish.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Fished between gorgas lane and levering st bridge friday afternoon with minnows got 15 sat evening 7 sn afternoon 16 they were hiting them minnows and wax worms hard nobody fishs anymore sunday i fished all the holes myself it was awsome next stocking 31st:d

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
4/20 report

Took the day off for my 40th birthday. Besides falling in the drink, I guess to remind me that I am old (since I haven't fallen in 10 years) I did well. Fished 6 to 10 AM in the city section of the Wissa. Got about 10 on artificials. Sat in one hole when I saw a palamino feeding and used some worms I had left over from fishing the mountains on Sat. I got a few more on bait before quitting, maybe 13 for the morning. One was a 20 inch brownie! Nice surprise. I thought I had hooked the gold one!

·
Registered
64 Posts
The gold trout fished the wissy for 36 yrs caught got 2 for al them years be down gorgas lane area friday afternoon friday come on down bring minows

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Palaminos

Choochoo.

I usually get one every 2 or 3 years down there, never on a minnow, usually on a spinner or plug. Usually in high, stained, chocolate water and by accident (I didn't see him and he didn't see me, I guess). Like you, I rarely catch one that I've seen and fished for, though I have a buddy who stays with them, doesn't quit, and catches one or more a year. You can tell when they are feeding. Personally, I rather catch 20 little ones than that one big, lazy one. Sort of like dating ten 20 year olds or dating one obese 60 year old.

·
Registered
64 Posts
YEAH I THROW EVERY THING BUT THE KITCHEN SINK THEN I JUST THROW A ROCK AT THE GOLDEN ONE AND MOVE ON THEY NEVER HIT FOR ME IF I SEE THEM BUT ITS FUN SEEING ONE :cool:

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I got out yesterday again working the flourtown area, water was very low and clear. The fish were in there, but spooked very easily. I caught a nice 15" rainbow at the beach on a black/gold panther martin and that was it, I left by 11:30. The fish seemed very picky. There seemed to be some other species of fish running around in there with the trout, I don't know what they are though, shiners??

·
Registered
162 Posts
I had on and lost the biggest trout I almost ever caught saturday morning. A 20"+ golden rainbow. Hooked it in deep, fast moving water, didn't even know it was in there. Would have been fun to land because I had a group of birdwatchers right across the creek. If the fight with the fish didn't get their attention, the loud F bombs I was dropping after it spit the hook certainly did.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
We need rain!

I guess it's no secret that the secret of the Wissahickon is high water. Been fishing it for 30 years and always do well in high, stained water (just not too high!). Did you guys get a lot of fish following to your feet. I took a walk with my son yesterday in F-town and saw a lot of trout, but with it low and clear, they are spooked. A little rain will work wonders down there. Or you have to fish the fast water and then move on to the next set of runs. Hoping to head out on Wed or Thurs if the forecast holds. Need a couple more good trips before I switch to the beach! Will post a report.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
I guess it's no secret that the secret of the Wissahickon is high water. Been fishing it for 30 years and always do well in high, stained water (just not too high!). Did you guys get a lot of fish following to your feet. I took a walk with my son yesterday in F-town and saw a lot of trout, but with it low and clear, they are spooked. A little rain will work wonders down there. Or you have to fish the fast water and then move on to the next set of runs. Hoping to head out on Wed or Thurs if the forecast holds. Need a couple more good trips before I switch to the beach! Will post a report.
30 years, nice... I bet you've seen it change a bit over the years. I had a lot of fish that lingered around my feet, they would not go for the lure or powerbait I displayed oh so nicely in front of them on an algae platter. I think I tried to work these fish for an hour to no avail, literally feet in front of me. Ok, I actually considered a cast net...:D But yep, they were spooked very easily, just walking along the banks I could see them zipping all over and there were no anglers anywhere in sight. We defnitely need more water!!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
30 years, nice... I bet you've seen it change a bit over the years. I had a lot of fish that lingered around my feet, they would not go for the lure or powerbait I displayed oh so nicely in front of them on an algae platter. I think I tried to work these fish for an hour to no avail, literally feet in front of me. Ok, I actually considered a cast net...:D But yep, they were spooked very easily, just walking along the banks I could see them zipping all over and there were no anglers anywhere in sight. We defnitely need more water!!!
Started fishing the Wissa there when I was 10 or so, so I'm no old man yet... The park in Flourtown has definitely changed. There's a lot more sediment, sand and mud in there than there used to be. Ironically the stocked section in the city, especially the lower end that runs through a gorge and has some springs, that still feels healthy. I catch a couple every winter in the city when we get nice days, all on plugs and spinners. The real surprise is getting one or two after the rain in the summer! I got two trout last August while fishing for little smallmouths down there. I don't think the water in Flourtown stays cool enough to hold any over from the spring stocks. They don't stock it in October for good reason.

·
Registered
64 Posts
WENT SUNDAY AFTERNOON CAUGHT 4 UNDER LEVERING ST BRIDGE THERE PILED UP UNDER THERE BUT IT WAS SO CROWDED WITH SWIMMERS SPOOKING EVERYTHING AND THE TOADS MATING AT THE WATERLINE THERE WAS THOSANDS OF THEM IT WAS WILD LOOKING :rolleyes:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
heading down after work

heading down after work tonight to enjoy the last of the warm days - anyone heading down?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts