BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got out today for a couple hours before the new buckets are dumped on Wed in Montgo. I saw only 1 guy all morning, which is pretty nice. It was warm and windy, and the water is definitely getting warm quickly. The sunfish are getting as active as the trout, and I even got a little bass. I had to work for them and find the fish that moved around a bit and found new places to eat. I ended up with 6 or 7 and the assorted panfish, so there was plenty of action to keep it interesting.

All fish hit a the nymph under an indicator, about half on green weenies and half on pt's. Nothing on the swing yet this spring. Water looks good still, but a little rain would be okay at this point to cool things down. Feels like we went from 0 to 60 too quickly. A couple kids on spring break were swimming already:bow:

One shot of a little bow that hit the tungsten pheasant tail.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Nice fish!!! The trout keep eluding me.

I hit the wissy again on Sunday eve around sunset. Had some rock bass, smallies and sunnies. Got the smallies on a roostertail and rebel crawfish. Now the rockbass and sunnies I was getting them to hit topwater on the rebel teeny wak-r. I kept the rod tip high and let it make a nice v wake across the surface. Sometimes they would hit on the pause, sometimes while it was moving. As the sun went down they hit it more recklessly. Just as I dialed it in I lost my teeny wak-r to a tree. All part of the game. Was cool to watch the panfish explode on topwater though.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice fish!!! The trout keep eluding me.

I hit the wissy again on Sunday eve around sunset. Had some rock bass, smallies and sunnies. Got the smallies on a roostertail and rebel crawfish. Now the rockbass and sunnies I was getting them to hit topwater on the rebel teeny wak-r. I kept the rod tip high and let it make a nice v wake across the surface. Sometimes they would hit on the pause, sometimes while it was moving. As the sun went down they hit it more recklessly. Just as I dialed it in I lost my teeny wak-r to a tree. All part of the game. Was cool to watch the panfish explode on topwater though.
Thanks, man! That's a lot of fun. I often chase the bass and sunnies in the summer with the fly rod or small top waters. The bass seem to be bug and frog eaters, so they look up. Topwater is very effective down there. A lot of the time the bass suck down a popper the minute it lands in a good pocket. Good luck!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts