BASS BARN banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had heard or read somewhere that this can be an effective pattern . Any comments or experience on this?

Thanks,

·
Registered
135 Posts
Like the Clouser or Deciever...

The Wolly Bugger is one of those patterns that will catch anything that swims. It seems to be mainly a fresh water pattern used for Trout and Smallmouth. If tied properly (right size and proper hooks) I'll bet you could catch anything from panfish to Tarpon with a Bugger. It is also really easy to tie. For Trout I like purple, Smallmouth I like brown, and have done well in saltwater with white.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Pete

You never used them?

Like the volkswagon of flies, simple, cheap, easy to construct and reliable, and they come in all different colors and styles.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
2nd Bounty Hunter on that. Weighted, unweighted, big or small. Everything eats them! My favorite for cold water smallmouth, Black lectric-bugger. Just a big, 3 1/2 inch black bugger with some dark purple flashabou running all the way down the sides, nose to tip of the tail, under your palmered hackle. Spring/summer I like olive, brown and dark tan. Jeez, I fish a lot of white ones to and oh yea chatreuse in the heat of summer. Get the drift Pete? They are a must have pattern. There is no way you couldn't tie a 4-5 incher in chartreuse on a size 1 or 2 saltwater hook and not catch Stripers. In fact i'll tie some big ones up and give it a whirl, super easy casting as well.
When I tie them weighted I'll put a few turns of red thread at the back of the head, unweighted no red.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, poor wording on my part. I should have mentioned salt water/striper use. I tie them in olive, white, olive/black, black. I have used them in fresh water only. LMB eat them like candy in a 6 or 4 hook. I have never tied them weighted, but I was wondering about the thoughts of larger ones for striped bass. Looks like I need some purple stuff. I'll bet with a gold cone, and some white and pink they would be dynamite for bouncing on the bottom for fluke. As a matter of fact, I had just finished a couple black with Grizzley hackle for freshwater, and that is what made me think to do the post

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Stripers will eat 'em, no problem! I ahve a good friend that swears by buggers for tarpon, he's caught many on them!:)

·
Registered
931 Posts
been tying them for salt for awhile but have to say I havnt fish them much in salt but I would expect they would be eaten

this is one I did on a 34011 2/0

rabbit zonker in tail center, chart calftail for support, marabou, shiny chenille body, krystal flash in tail and along side, cactus chenille head

·
Registered
420 Posts
I'm one of those guys who doesn't have much luck with wooly buggers. The few I tie are large, 4 to 6 inches long and off beat variations, like the White River Demon and Chili Pepper. I've caught snapper blues on smaller WRD's, 2-4 inches long. I haven't broken out the large ones out for salt water. The closest thing to a wooly bugger I fish in salt water is the top fly in the picture.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Woolly Bugger uses

Its one of those all purpose, unlimited species use flies. It can appear in the water to be just about anything from baitfish, to crustaceans, worms, and ???? Its a go to as well as last resort fly.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
John,
That is a nice looking fly, but I would say it looks more like a tarpon fly than something for stripers. I am going to the fly store for some materials, and will play around a bit

·
Registered
931 Posts
Narragansett said:
John,
That is a nice looking fly, but I would say it looks more like a tarpon fly than something for stripers. I am going to the fly store for some materials, and will play around a bit
Thanks

Yeah I would prefer to use it for smallies or lmb and if I was ever lucky enough for tarpon.

I would expect specs would like this too. Might try it this May in Cbay

·
Registered
13,491 Posts
Tie one in black, dumbell eyes, 1/0 hook and fish it at night, especially on an outgoing flow in the back or an inlet. Dead drift with twitches.

Just sayin'.

That is all.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rob, Sounds like the voice of experience talking?

Anybody got a hook selection recommendation beyond a 34011 Muustad?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
purple bugger on a 254SS Eagle claw. Need longer hooks

Still cannot get the hang of posting an image here

1 - 17 of 17 Posts