BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this will help some people when they come up on birds AND fisherman. Can someone please explain the proper tactics to use when approaching birds that are working AND fishermen that are already there. We missed out on a blitz several times because of boats screaming right into the middle of the action. Life is too short to miss out on these times!!

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Whoever has the bigger boat and bigger weapons gets to fish the bird's!! Need to find a school of fish by yourself, it's less frustrating that way!! It can get nut's out there when you have more than 2or 3 boat's fighting for position of a small pod of fish!! :rolleyes: ;) :D :D

[ 06-09-2005, 02:09 PM: Message edited by: stripedfever ]

·
Banned
1,617 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You must have been one of the "rocket scientists" driving through the action.
Guess what..... The 20 ft Mako can catch the same fish as the 65 Viking. Doesnt sound like you can find birds anyway

·
Registered
6,335 Posts
The people who steam into the school don't know any better, I hope, I like to think the best of people. I had the same thing happen in LEI on Sunday, after several attempts at the school and 3 other boats putting down the fish I gave up. Some people don't learn either. What can you do it's still a free country. Try not to get mad it just ruins your day.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Loanfish:

This is one of my biggest pet peeves with reagrd to fishing. Sadly, the problem seems to run through the entire field of anglers from novices to "experts." I have seen it done by individual boaters, charter captains, and partyboat captains. Some of these guys actually do believe that boat size or cost seems to determine fishing rights. The "trollers" often seem to be the most notorius offenders.

If people would just realize that they can hang on the outside of a working school of fish, they would easily double or triple their catch ratio. After all, anyone can run into the middle of a school of breaking fish and catch one before they sound. The key is to approach slowly and quietly ahead of the school and allow them to come to you with your motor off. You can then catch numerous fish as they continue to feed rather than catch just one as they scatter for cover. You can also have several boats working the same school as long as everyone avoids putting the fish down with running motors.

Lately, I will simply leave and go look for another school if there is even just one knucklehead around ready to ruin the action. Like Vitalsigns said, It just ruins your day to get mad, and you will get sick of shouting obscenities all day long.

- Gr8ful Fish / Gr8ful One

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
Loanfish, sorry I forgot to put smilies on my post as I was kidding!!It must not have been me if I cant find the bird's ,especially in the inlet, their tough to find !!:)Didn't you read the end of my post,your not the only one out there with yahoo's driving thru or trolling thru a school of fish,that's why I said if it's too nut's ,go find your own school yourself so you don't have to deal with the nonsense!! Did you forget to take your Med's?? Sometimes I forget to take mine !! :rolleyes: :eek: ;) :D :D

[ 06-09-2005, 03:03 PM: Message edited by: stripedfever ]

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Wait til November and go out mid-week. A lot less competition.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
This is one funny topic, let me say. It's a big ocean out there, however, I'm not going to support the individual that flies into the action "guns a'blarin" and wants position over boats that are already working the scene.
There's an approach that is respectable under these situations known as low power and outside. Go in slowly and quietly and not TOO CLOSE and you should find fish. Pods move, so the boats that are in position aren't always going to be in position. PLUS, sometimes doesn't increase the odds to sit back and watch for a little to better understand what's happening?
Rant's over...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts