BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fellow barners -

Im planning on writing a research paper on the striped bass - Their decline, their revival, effects on the industry, gamefish status in several states on the east coast. I have a few books I can do some work out of - Eastern Tides, Fall run, and a few others. I wanted to ask some of the charter captains or fishermen that have been fishing the new jersey coast for a little longer then Ive been alive a few questions. I know Ill be sending FU an email, but if anyone wants to volunteer a few minutes of their time through a few emails with me Id love to hear from you. In return Ill gladly share the research paper whenever its done with anyone who wants to read a 10 page research paper :D

Also, stay tuned..... Im giving an informative speech on the damages of commercial fishing to our oceans next week in my speech class and will be uploading the video of it afterwards. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
You should email BIGGESTJACK. When he fishes for them he swears they are extinct. :D

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He just ate em all whole. Can I send you an email in a week or so fred? Writing the Issue proposal now and I should have it done by the end of the week.

·
Registered
82 Posts
AK - i suggest you look at the striped bass forum for some information.

Have you checked with ASMFC on the status of Striped Bass? There is a study underway now and will be completed in 2013 specifically on Striped bass.

Currently Striped bass are not considered overfished or endangered.

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
Andrew check out the Books... Striper Wars and The Most Important Fish in the Sea. You'll probably want to tie menhaden into your research paper...The Most Important Fish in the Sea gives you a great historical record of how the bunker fleet came to be in NJ but its a bit one sided..:) If your giving a power point presentation for it you can use some of my underwater hydroglow vids as well.

·
Registered
3,578 Posts
Andrew.........you can shoot me an email and I will be glad to comment on the topics you mentioned. I have fished for striped bass originally in Maryland, and now in Cape May since the early 70's. I have written numerous scientific articles for various magazines over the years.

·
Registered
5,140 Posts
ANDREW-- you can shoot me an e-mail I may have some information for you with almost 6000 tagged stripers and several hundred returns
Glad to answer whatever questions I can
[email protected]

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Glad you two chimed in... I will be in touch!!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
I tagged 11000 striper, send me an email

I can probably lend a few insights..I tagged 1100 striper for the littoral society in the 80's...send an email to [email protected] .net if you want my take

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts