BASS BARN banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a herring net on a pole...alot of guys use them most have told me they made them...is anybody making them ? They are more like a big basket than a net. Any info on it would be great.

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
Pretty simple to make. Go to K-mart and buy a cheap net, cut the net off and toss it.. Go to Home depot and get some chicken wire, zip ties, brown/black spray paint, and a long paint pole. about an hour of work.

can only be 24" across. But I've never had mine measured and I never measured it myself.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ellball thanks for the info. I was at a Baitshop this afternnon looking for a big cheapie. I will head to the Big K and Wallmart and get going on it. Thanks again for all your help in the diff. forums.

Jersey Mike

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
phish4fun said:
what is the advantage to making one?
Personally, I have never seen anyone selling them except for a couple guys that herring fish alot and might have a spare or two to unload... so making one is really the easiest option. I have two and they look like they were made by a 12 year old with 10 thumbs but they still catch herring.

Unless the herring are schooled up in the shallows where you can throw a cast net, the dipnet is definatly the way to go as far as effort vs. results.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
fmTuna said:
Personally, I have never seen anyone selling them except for a couple guys that herring fish alot and might have a spare or two to unload... so making one is really the easiest option. I have two and they look like they were made by a 12 year old with 10 thumbs but they still catch herring.

Unless the herring are schooled up in the shallows where you can throw a cast net, the dipnet is definatly the way to go as far as effort vs. results.
i was just curious because i bought a fine mesh net that is 22 inches across with a 6ft handle for 16.00. at shoreway.

·
Registered
6,048 Posts
phish4fun said:
i was just curious because i bought a fine mesh net that is 22 inches across with a 6ft handle for 16.00. at shoreway.
Handle is to short and mesh will get debri in it. Wire is the way to go. And spray paint it. They can see it, and will go around it.

·
Registered
77,364 Posts
eelball said:
Pretty simple to make. Go to K-mart and buy a cheap net, cut the net off and toss it.. Go to Home depot and get some chicken wire, zip ties, brown/black spray paint, and a long paint pole. about an hour of work.

can only be 24" across. But I've never had mine measured and I never measured it myself.
Good info eelball. Darn things are to fast for a throw net.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Cast netting, shallow water only

Hardtop said:
Good info eelball. Darn things are to fast for a throw net.
John,They have to be in very shallow water or you don't have prayer at snagging them:( . Best time is when they are doing there "Thing",;) :p they'll be distracted enough that they won't notice your throwing the net. Good luck.:) Haig

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
eelball said:
Handle is to short and mesh will get debri in it. Wire is the way to go. And spray paint it. They can see it, and will go around it.
THATS A BETTER ANSWER:cool:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts