BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ... I know its nutty, but ive been thinking, I really dont enjoy that 16 footer as much as I should cause its beam is narrow and with my ballast filled azz its tippy. Its a nice little boat dont get me wrong, but for back bay crabbing I think I would be happier ON a toon. Unpowered is fine, I have a 7.5 that would chug it around nicely, the only time power would be an issue is over in grassy sound when the tide is ripping, I dont think i would like watching champagne island getting bigger as my heart gets ready for The Big One, lol

:D

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
bump!

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Can you really push those monsters around with 10 hp? dave

·
Registered
303 Posts
If your serious about a pontoon and don't mind driving to S. Del. there are always plenty for sale down here at all price ranges. Seems as if they are the vessel of choice on Indian River Bay and Rehobeth Bay and in the summer there are literally hundreds of them on these bays on any given day. Several dealers are located on Longneck Rd. West of Lewes. As far as pushing it with a 7.5 h.p engine, I don't think so. Most of them have at least 50's on them.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I saw that one too Dave, er, BayRat, I think they have a reserve around 5 grand, im thinking more a motorless fixer upper, lol

Several dealers are located on Longneck Rd. West of Lewes. As far as pushing it with a 7.5 h.p engine, I don't think so. Most of them have at least 50's on them.

bah, I dont mean to water ski! LOL

seriously, when I was a kid they used to rent waterlogged 18 foot garveys, heavy, strong built wooden beasts of burden that came standard with FOUR horsepower or for a few extra bucks, the "big" six horse. Therefore, with the minimal wetted surface of two relatively light, thin pontoons of aluminum and given the usage in the back bays, where the biggest problem is finding deep enough water to run the motor, yeppers, 7.5 will do dandy.

of course, if you are talking a triple toon 30 footer, well twin 250 etecs would push it nicely ... could ski three the size of me! (some of the bigger toons have twin big block I/Os in them, holy flyin toons!)

:D :D :D :D

:cool:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts