BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know I will here some crap for this.

I want to buy a small MIG welder for welding 3/16 or less stainless with Flux core. I am not dealing with Argon.

Anyone have a small welder for they want to sell?

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
I did not think you could get flux core SS wire. Secondly you you use a mixed gas not 100% Argon, this is for aluminum. Check out Harborfreight.com, they have some welders and wire there, if you are gonna get a cheap mig welder then you probably want 0.23 wire.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tight,
I have seen .030 and .035 flux core welders for 200 bucks.
I know they are cheap, but I only need one for tiny welds and really to tinker with it to learn.

I have seen two pound spools of SS flux core wire, but I have read that some handles don't feed the wire properly or that you have to use 100% co2 with them.

I was hoping to find a completely gasless Stainless steel wire, but I don't think it is gonna happen. I have a few Clam rakes that I need to make and my buddy that normally does them is out of commision with a leg injury.

[ 03-14-2005, 09:13 AM: Message edited by: MargaritaVille ]

·
Registered
11,936 Posts
Ebay sells them new for a decent price. I too have been looking. Seems like nobody gets rid of them. I was looking at the Millermatic 135.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I looked into coverting my lincoln mig so I could do stainless and aluminum. It required a special kit to help the feeding of the wire and also needed the gas hookup. Everyone I asked told me It would be cheaper and better in the long run to just buy a tig welder. I also looked into converting one of my old arc welders into a tig.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
joc,
If I could get a jig ready and bang these things out, I would take you up on the offer.

I have a buddy that has a tig welder, so I might do that instead. I was just looking to tinker and learn something new.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
I got a Millermatic 135 for Christmas :D I am still working on the plain steel, I havent graduated to the aluminum and stainless yet...then I am well on my way to "Lehigh Valley Choppers"...hahaha, yeah right. The Hobart units seem to be almost the same as the Miller and slightly cheaper. I am saving up for the Spoolgun and module so I can do Aluminum (or try), I dont suppose anyone has one of them???

1 - 9 of 9 Posts