BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is what you should not do in a yak in waters you barely know.

I was up Cuttyhunk Island, MA. After a good day of fishing on our last day, I decided to head out in the Yak for the night. Had to get that one least trip in. Cuttyhunk is basically a rock. Big, jagged nasty ones are all over most of the island.

There was a pretty good swell that evening. In my haste, I did not bother to think that swells breaking in the somewhat sheltered cove meant they would really be crashing against the boulders where I intended to fish.

Cutty is pitch-black at night. This isn't paddling along in the back bays of South Jersey.
With the surf booming, I did not even attempt to get near the rocks. That would of been suicide.

Now that I am starting to think clearly (hey idiot you have no business being out here), I realize I got another problem. We were expecting the cold front that evening with winds that were to quickly reach 30mph. I am in a four foot swell, with a mile paddle in front of me and the wind can start any minute. Not good.

Thankfully I get back to the cove before the wind. Next problem, my yak( a sit-in), which is great for fishing, does not surf very good at all. Every time I took it to the beach this year and tried to surf it in, I ended up rolling over before reaching the beach. The yak has chines and once they decide to dig in thats it.

So I realize I am going to have to surf a breaker to get in. Next problem, while the shore of the cove is mostly small rocks about the size of golf or softballs, there are a couple of spots where there are fields of some real nasty ones that are only exposed at low tide. Its low tide.

Like I said, the place is dark. I have no idea where the smaller "softer" rocks are. I did my best guesstimate, grabbed a wave, and held on for dear life.

I did end up in the nasty ones. I got lucky, I managed to not hit one and did not roll until I was clear of them. I coulda ended up splitting open my head and worse.

Moral? Don't be an idiot like me. Have a plan for getting not only out but in safely.

[ 09-27-2005, 10:01 PM: Message edited by: egghead ]

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
A yak more suited for that????

A Seal team assault craft is iffy even in those conditions....

egghead...glad you are still with us...surviving to 90 is a full time job!!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Mike,Glad Your OK bud.. Great Story and like I said in your other post. Food For Thought! Thx.

Here are some shots of New England Yakers,take note of the style of kayak and also what they use (tubes)to catch the Big One's up there. For your next trip ;)

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
EggHead, almost Cracked Egg.......You gotta be careful Dude, You essentially pulled the same move that I wrote about with the Sail boat almost ending up on the beach in Cape may.

That Kayak fishing is too much of a contact sport for me :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Its always 10 times easier to get out then it is to get in.I avoid anything over waist high and at night its got to be flat. To hard to keep your balance when you cant focusyour eyes on something. Egghead I have a feeling we are going to be hearing more stories from you.
barrell

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
Now I know why you did not answer your cell phone or return my call. :eek:

·
Banned
5,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well, Capt. Scott is right. Not knowing exactly where it was safe to land would be a challenge for any vessel. While a sit on top yak generally surfs better, I like the stability of my wide-load.

At the end of the day, the size of the swells on the water was not a problem and that I could not get close to where I wanted to fish is just the way it goes.

I should of stopped, thought for a minute, and recognized the biggest problem was going to be surfing in the dark in rocks. Never again.

Strikes,
They love those tube worms up there. I thnk it is the only thing the charter boats use.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts