BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a Sit on top.
I've attached the rod holder.
I've taken it out in the ocean and have gotten skilled enough to ride the waves without tipping.

I plan on just going out and getting some exercise pattling between the jetty's along the surf in Sea Isle.
What should I troll with?
Clark spoon?
Parachute jig?
Rebel?
I'm leaning towards the clark spoon for the small blues to get the first fish under my belt.

I also thought of using a diamond jig. Figure with the slow speed it might look rather interesting bouncing on the bottom.

Just trying to get and idea of what lures work best from a Yak.
Thanks

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
I like to troll deep diving plugs. Remember you are going real slow a regular diving plug will barely make it under the surface. My favorite is the pikie or one of the rapala's with metal lip. The shad rap by rapala has a plastic lip but dives deep. I remove the front hook for safety and land fish by grabbing the plug.
A lip grip on a bungie and a bungieed net come in handy. Dont forget your pliers.
barrell

·
Registered
820 Posts
Rob,
Whichever lure you decied to use, make sure you attach a teaser to your leader about 12" above the lure. I was trolling in my kayak last year in the surf and landed about 8/10 stripers on the teaser, not the lure. I also had a couple of double headers. It will definately increase your chances of hooking up. I'll post a pic of my favorite set up in a bit.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Brent, did you find that the bass would get foul hooked by your plug when using a teaser? that's the one reason that i've never bothered to use them is because i was concerned about having the teaser in the basses mouth, and the plug hooked into the body. since i release all of my fish, i don't want to hurt them any more than necessary.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Nope. I've never foul hooked a bass whil it was on my teaser. Not to say it couldn't happen, but I've never had it happen to me.
give it a shot. If you foul hook them, take it off.
Try it, it really does help produce more fish.
good luck.
Brent

1 - 6 of 6 Posts