BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I was searching the web for some info I had found once from a guy that dyed his own yak hair, and said that it was much softer than commercial grades. I cannot seem to find that same info. I have checked ebay, which is where I think I saw it. My poor memory seems to tell me that the guy was in PA. Anybody have any idea on who I am searching for? Thanks:confused:

For what it is worth, I took a bunch of white yak hair, put a ty rap on it, and soaked it in some fabric softener and hot water for a couple hours. The waves are still there, but the texture is quite a bit softer than the rest of the hank

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
A guy by the name of Kenny Schwam used to dye his own stuff. He ran a shop up in Willow Grove, Deleware River Fly shop or something like that. Alas, poor Kenny passed away a few years ago. He was guideing a Striper trip up on the Vineyard and got swept away off a bar. From what I heard, they found his body the next day, still grasping his rod.
As far as making YAK softer, I use the stuff because it's not soft. Helps maintain bulk without weight.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
John, I know about the bulk without weight, but I saw somewhere some real sharp baitfish patterns done with soft hair. Just looked like something I wanted to get a couple colors of and try. You got a picture to post with something you have used yak hair on? Just as always looking for ideas. The posting I saw was a lot more recent than that

Pete

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would appreciate a posted picture of a fly done with yak hair, if anybody has one and a spare moment to do it. Thanks,

Pete

·
Registered
931 Posts
Narragansett said:
I would appreciate a posted picture of a fly done with yak hair, if anybody has one and a spare moment to do it. Thanks,

Pete
I used yak allot in the past just not recently. On big patterns its nice. This one is all yak up top, with krystal flash, slinky flash and a little white yak on bottom, and probably something else thrown in.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice John. Thank you! I can see that I need to get a couple colors of yak hair. I have a tan and olive now, need white and chartruese. I think for the size of the hanks, and the potential to tie flies like that, it is probably one of the best fly tying material bargains around. Again, thanks for your time, and helping me out here

1 - 7 of 7 Posts