BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious... do catch more flounder drifting or being anchored???

My gut feeling is the kayak drifts too fast and more could be caught anchored instead.

Let's take a poll... what method do you feel will yield the most fish??? and what rig/bait works best.

One day in July I drifted for hours and came up empty handed only to unload and found out the couple nearby on the sod bank caught over 15 with 4 keepers in the same spot using the same bait - miinows ... got a little irratated that day!

·
Registered
270 Posts
For me, I do both, anchor and drift. I know, not much of an answer. :huh:

On a calm day when the wind is right, I'll toss a drift sock over and catch 'em up. ON A CALM DAY :rolleyes:

After the breeze kicks up, (yes I said after as in it will) it's always a mess trying to drift. I'll set my anchor and trolley so that I am in a good spot to cast up current and I'll work the bait back. I'll work that whole area and stay or move according to the action. :thumbsup:

The trick is to keep the bait moving. For the most part, Fluke are filter feeders that will sit and wait for food to wash over them. Yes, they will ambush, chase and swim after baits too. Just not so much when it's just sitting there still.

·
Registered
413 Posts
This is another place where the Hobie excels. :rolleyes: FU says that you want your bait to be moving as fast as the current and the line to be vertical so as to have the bait approaching the fish from the front.

With the hobie you just scull (pedal) so as to keep the line in the proper orientation. If the wind is against the current and you are drifting all you are doing is hitting the fluke in the ***.:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I mostly drift for the fluke in the yak. But on occasions, I've beached the yak along a sod bank and cast and bounce back with the current.

One day I was out and the wind was against the current, and the yak wasn't moving at all. I just sat there and cast my bait up into the current and let it drift back to the yak. I ended up catching a few that day doing it.

Whether that yak is moving or not, it's important to keep the bait moving with the current.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Both.
If it is a dead morning no wind or anything than ill drift around.
Other than that i anchor in this spot i know of.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I've been told anchoring in a Kayak can be extremely dangerous especially in areas where strong currents wash eel grass out of the back. What I was told is the eel grass accumulates on the rode and can cause the kayak to nose dive tossing you and everything thats not attached into the water. Has anyone ever had this happen to them?

I would think drifting in heavy current with a drift sock might be the better option..I know the areas that I would love to fish with a yak for stripers have extremely strong current, thats why the stripers are there. I would fish my presentations cross current for fluke with a Drift sock.

I also agree that Mirage drive Hobie yaks have the advantage over all other brand Yaks for this type of fishing, especially if you upgrade the fins. This year I plan on buying a yak and I won't even consider a paddle only yak as all my fishing will be Saltwater bay and Jetty heads .

Liv 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Lol ya that is what i do in the ocean. Always have the good old 5 gallon buck with rope on it.

Even with a moderate drift i still move pretty quick.

·
Registered
753 Posts
When I use my Outback I use that to hold a spot over a hole. I mostly use Gulp shrimp or swimming mullet so the bait is moving over the hole not me.

My preferred kayak is my OK Malibu2XL. With that you need to be a little creative to hold your position. If I am fishing a creek or near the ICW, I will bury myself in the grass or a sod bank. I can reach most of my sweet spots casting from here. I use a drift sock when I am working spots that I can't reach casting when I hug the grass or a sod bank. In outgoing tides I use a scupper pole that I bury in the sand through the scupper in spots that I know are near deeper holes. You have to keep an eye on boat wake using a scupper pole and never use one in "no wake" zones.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.