BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally splashed the boat on Saturday and took it on a quick river shakedown ride to make sure all was good, it wasn't....got the boat up to speed and then without notice the rpm's dropped from 4500 to 2800 and then back and fourth and everything in between, since it was both engines we figured it was a gas problem but it wasn't, pulled the filters and the gas was perfect...anybody got any ideas??? I want to go fishing!!!! :confused:

·
Registered
321 Posts
vst filter or the small (pretzel log shape) filter just before it. I would start with the smaller one first as it not that hard to change.

·
Registered
724 Posts
VST fuel filters. Need to replace them. 2 on each motor.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I had a pair of yamaha f-115's for 12 years. Every year I would winterize them myself. The dealer said it wouldn't hurt to put fogging oil in the intake and cylinders, although it wasn't necessary. After 9 years with no problems, I put the boat in the water and had the same problem that you are explaining. I changed all filters including VST tank filters( not easy on the 115's) they were clear. After going over everything, and not finding anything wrong, I took it for a ride with the cowling off and tapped on the fuel rail. It immediately went up to proper rpm's and stayed until I brought it back down to idol and back up again. It turned out to be a clogged injector. They say they can't be cleaned but I cleaned them with cleaner and hooked them up to a pulse device my neighbor had and blew air from a compressor through them while hitting the pulse button. Put them back in and has been fine since. Just changed my way of winterizing. Not sure is this is the same problem, but maybe it will help.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Another thing with those damn VST's make sure you drain them when you winterize or don't use the motor for an extended period of time. Any small bit of water/dirt can easily make the needle get a tiny bit of corrosion on it and make it stick closed. The screens get dirty as well.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the replies, we are going to try a couple things first...anybody think it could be as simple that there is air in the lines, the bulbs were awfully soft when I was there on Saturday so we pumped them up but ran out of time to test that theory out...my good friend is going to clean the injectors, unfortunately he has a ton of practice on his own boat on how to do it
I'm hoping we don't have to get to the vst filters, looks like it will take a long time to complete that job

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Thanks for the replies, we are going to try a couple things first...anybody think it could be as simple that there is air in the lines, the bulbs were awfully soft when I was there on Saturday so we pumped them up but ran out of time to test that theory out...my good friend is going to clean the injectors, unfortunately he has a ton of practice on his own boat on how to do it
I'm hoping we don't have to get to the vst filters, looks like it will take a long time to complete that job
You could check for a small leak/hole somewhere in your fuel lines and connections if the ball isn't staying hard, you could be sucking air somewhere.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts