BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at a boat with twin 150s Salt Water Series II outboards. They have a little over 1000 hours and presuming the compression is relatively even and they have been well maintained, how many hours can I expect from these engines? Does anyone have these engines with more than 1500 hours? Thanks.

·
Registered
31,673 Posts
yamahaoutboardparts.com has a chat room. i have a 200ox66 with no issues but not that many hours. they are a bullet proof motor though.

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Great/tough question. I have asked that question before and was told that there is no average. Some people don't get 1,000 hours whereas other peope 2,000+ hours.

I have a pair of 2000 200 HP OX66's. Only about 270 hours on them (they sat for three years).

Generally you should find very positive comments on the OX66's. Here are some things that help factor how many hours the engines will survive.

1. PM maintenance. Did the current owner:
a. Use Yamalube (or another high grade oil)
b. Ringfree
c. Decarb the engines on a regular interval
d. All other seasonal stuff

2. Does the boat/engines come with external fuel filters? Those Yamaha's and bad evil ethenol don't always get along. Good method of protection includes external and internal 10 micron fuel filters.

Good luck.

Peter

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
No idea on the hours. Bullet proof as said. Keep them maintained. Also keep those 02 sensors cleaned. Very important on those motors. They are known to be oil and fuel hungry. Don't own one personally but have spring commissioned quite a few. Not a bad idea to pull the heads and check the water jackets for corrosion. Capt.Matt

·
Registered
862 Posts
Most engines have the ability to far exceed 1000 hrs but many of them do not. Regardless of engine brand one of the biggest factors is corrosion that happens in areas that you don't even think about. Water jackets, sealing surfaces, bearing carriers, seal carriers, water tubes and the list goes on. I would make sure your getting them at a price where you won't get hurt if you have to repair them or eventually re power. A majority of the engines I see with a Thousand plus hours are pretty well spent. Not saying these are, but make sure some one takes a peak at them for you that is familiar with that engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts