BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I appreciated all the posting on the 115 question I had, and What I learned from what you all said is I'd better go heavier with the HP.

What do you guys think about the yammy 150 HPDI???

I still dont know about the 4-strokes, but then again I'm no mechanic, so I really have no clue what I'm talking about lol when it comes to motors, maybe you guys do, so what do you think???:huh:

·
Vendor
296 Posts
Do your homework on the hpdi's and read the problems they had with power heads. i am a yamaha fan all the way. Yamaha has left all of the customers with power head problems out to dry. (After warranty is up). If buying used i would go with any yamaha ox66 over an hpdi. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
4,715 Posts
All the info I found regarding the HPDIs was that the smaller blocks (150 and 200s) were great engines. You do have to stay on top of the fuel filters but that is the only real complaint on found on them. I personally just bought two used yamaha hpdi 150s for my 25ft mako which only have 180 hours on them. Talked with numerous owners who have over 2000 hours on theirs

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do your homework on the hpdi's and read the problems they had with power heads. i am a yamaha fan all the way. Yamaha has left all of the customers with power head problems out to dry. (After warranty is up). If buying used i would go with any yamaha ox66 over an hpdi. Just my two cents.

Nice well I am buying new for warrenty, as I can afford the montly payment but not the repair bills! lol-I did read a lot about them, and heard about the problem your talking about, and the concerns I have I hope to clear up here-so This part of my homework lol thanks for your two sense!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All the info I found regarding the HPDIs was that the smaller blocks (150 and 200s) were great engines. You do have to stay on top of the fuel filters but that is the only real complaint on found on them. I personally just bought two used yamaha hpdi 150s for my 25ft mako which only have 180 hours on them. Talked with numerous owners who have over 2000 hours on theirs
well that sounds good!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Nice well I am buying new for warrenty, as I can afford the montly payment but not the repair bills! lol-I did read a lot about them, and heard about the problem your talking about, and the concerns I have I hope to clear up here-so This part of my homework lol thanks for your two sense!:thumbsup:

If your boat can handle the weight just buy the F150 4 stroke. My last boat had an F115 and I loved the water. Not burning oil is nice and cheaper.

·
Registered
374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes, I sorta agree, but I'm not really sold on the 4-strokes, I'm liking this hpdi idea...plus I bet I could get one a lot cheaper...
:)

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
yes, I sorta agree, but I'm not really sold on the 4-strokes, I'm liking this hpdi idea...plus I bet I could get one a lot cheaper...
If you want a 2 stroke get a Mercury Optimax. They will be the cheapest and great on fuel economy.

4 stokes are fine more of them o the water now then anything else and they have been in cars and small engines for over a 100 years.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
You need to do more research. Just look what all the comercial crabbers and clammers are using. Look at what Sea Tow is using. You wont see any two strokes and these guys are on the water everyday for a living.

·
Registered
392 Posts
I have twin 150 hpdi's. Great engines. Start right up and idle great. Lots of power also. Buying oil all the time is rather annoying. If I had the money and a boat that wasn't already so stern heavy I would have the f150's on it.

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
I have twin 150 hpdi's. Great engines. Start right up and idle great. Lots of power also. Buying oil all the time is rather annoying. If I had the money and a boat that wasn't already so stern heavy I would have the f150's on it.
f150s weigh the same as 150 hpdis. 150 hpdi is a 6 cyl, 150 4s is a 4 cyl

·
Registered
27,561 Posts
Yamaha doesn't offer the 150 hpdi new in the 25" shaft anymore. They do still offer the 200hpdi.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
???

does this mean I cant catch tuna with it???
AJ, is talking about Yam's Vmax engines. The ProV's carbed and Vmax HPDI's in the 20" versions were made for BassBoats. For busting freshwater bass, but there's no difference in the stainless steel or alum used on those engines VS Yams saltwater series engines....inside or out.. Think about it.. Would you build a whole set of engines to save 100 bucks that would only live in freshwater?? It's not worth talking about it any farther.

The ProV and Vmax Yams are tuned with a faster lower end out of the hole and a better top end just like Merc's XS series engines and Evinrude Etec HO's. When you tune an engine like this you give up the best cruising rpm's fuel economy, but it's not all that much difference.. Maybe a gallon per hour if you ever have the chance to hold the engine at one rpm for an hour..

As far the Yam 150/200HPDI engines... I'd buy one in a second to repower with and I'm not even a Yam guy.. With a little maintenance they are great engines and will run 2000-2500hrs with no problems at all. Just run decent oil, Yamalube, Bomb XD-50 or Merc Prem Plus. Then decarbon them every 50-100hrs and pay attention to changing the oil in their high pressure fuel pumps..

1 - 20 of 22 Posts