BASS BARN banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left early Monday afternoon for a two day trip out to the lumps down south with a limited crew (myself and only one other). Arived around 5:30 pm and immediatley had a susbsantial run off on the deep line which popped. Then got the yellowfin going pretty good going 3 for 7 on 60-80 pound class fish. Fish were right behind the boat but just couldn't get the lines back in the water quick enough with the limited crew. Along came sunset and with it the bluefish. Tuna bite shut down and the bluefish turned on. Shut it down for the night to get ready for the early bite Tuesday. Just before dawn the bluefish were still thick but disappeared with the sunrise. As the opposite of the previous night bluefish disappeared, tuna arive. Had solid, consistant action for the rest of the day with mostly larger bluefins. More break offs than I could count, as these fish were big. Lost a really nice fish after 45 mins. in the anchor line. Finally boated a nice apr. 125 pounder ( with three releases around 40 inches along the way). Being that it was just me and my dad, I was totally whipped and decided to leave em bitting around 11 am and head for the barn.

Check out the attached pic

Having problems putting a crew togther. I fish out of lbi and would love to put a crew togther to fish with serious/experienced fisherman during the week (I'm a school teacher) on a consistant basis, and equally split expenses/clean up. I have been fishing since I was a kid and have a lot of offshore experience, particularly in the canyons. I have a nice boat that is totally equiped with safety equipment and electronics, and top of the line fishing gear. I will go anytime during the week in the summer as often as possible, (weather permitting), as long as I have a crew.
Interested-
# 609 597-1203
[email protected]

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
Nice report things are really starting to break loose, I hear you on getting a good crew, we have the same problem. My father and I love to fish dureing the week for obvious reasons, but it's hard to get a good group of guys on weekdays. We're in the JSC tourn. fri and sat and one of our guys is stuck in jury duty all week and the other one got called into work and he can't get out of it. It's tough we always have plenty of people on weekends, I'm hopeing to pick up a few people in our marina. That don't have the range to get offshore but would like to go. Hopefully we'll find ourselves a good crew soon. Did you run all the way down to the southern lumps off of Cape May from LBI? Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Which inlet do you leave from? Barnegat Light or Beach Haven. We are also looking for a crew from time to time. We have a 31 ocean master out of Barnegat Light.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
distance

I am actually based in the middle of the island, so each inlet is about the same distance, so it really depends on where I am going. Basically though, anything other than the Hudson I am headed south.

The lumps down south for me out of LBI are around 70-75 miles due south, which is like a canyon trip, just in a different direction.

·
Registered
293 Posts
We have the same problem, it is hard to get a crew for a run on a week day. Our boat wont be running again till the end of Aug or first week of Sept, so we will give it hell in Sept and Oct.

Ron from the Amber Lee, e-mail me at [email protected] .I tryed e-mailing you threw here but it did not work.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I run out of Ocean City, NJ and mid week is hard to get a crew together. I have one fellow who makes a real effort and usually can get off. My brother is recently retired from AT&T due to buyout. I thought he would be a regular, but his wife seems to have other plans. So he is a regular only when his wife doesn't have anything else for him to do. It is not easy with 2 guys offshore. 3 is a minimum and 4 is better. I have made overnights with 2 guys and after one of those trips I have to take a day off to recover.

·
Registered
640 Posts
love to go experinced captain here master i have a 27 stamas in ocmd if you wanna trade go on mine then go on yours love to talk don

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Looks like I started a trend!!

Always looking for good jump ons.

SAL G

(732)539-7403

[email protected]

We fish out of Manasquan and Barnegat inlets and the winters are spent in Morehead City and the outerbanks of North Carolina. We also will fish any where from 3-5days a week weather permitting.

This not a charter operation!! Just a bunch of east going hard core fishermen!!!

Will be out of town thru Aug. 6th, anyone interested should contact me at that time, but you can always leave a message.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I am experienced offshore, have my six pack ticket, worked on tugs for years. I run into the same problem all the time. I run a 26 Osprey in Staten Island and am very flexible with days off, get5 weeks vacation which I save the majority of for fishing. All I need is about 24-36 hours notice and im in. Takes me a little over an hour to drive to LBI....

Capt Joe 917 432 9111

1 - 14 of 14 Posts