BASS BARN banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I back filled alittle more than halfway with mono:thumbsup: found the right dia braid line:thumbsup: wrapped elec tape around spool:nuts: tied my uni-knot:thumbsup: now, whats the best way to cut the braid without the fraying?:huh: Tried razor blade,very sharp(wifes sewing sissors)sissors,I'm thinking something to cut and heat at the same time:huh: Any ideas or secrets:huh:

·
Registered
2,658 Posts
I always hate that dilema of how to cut braid my line clippers are actually sharp enough to cut through braid cleanly but I usually kepp a lighter in the tackle box to help those frayed ends. I know sometimes you can't use a lighter though cause you don't want to weaken the not.

·
Registered
513 Posts
This is what you do!

OK I CLEAN, LUBE, AND SPOOL REELS FOR A LIVING ON THE SIDE AND THIS IS HOW ITS DONE: #1 NO TAPE:naughty: BECAUSE I KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME WHEN THE TAPE GETS WET FROM THE WATER OR JUST TEMPERATURE IN COULD MAKE THE WHOLE SPOOL OF LINE SPIN WITH OUT EVEN USING ANY DRAG. I HAD MY 51" 51LB STRIPER ON FOR 1 HOUR AND FINALLY I LANDED IT BECAUSE THE DRAG AND THE WHOLE SPOOL OF LINE WAS SPINNING AND WHEN I TOOK OFF THE LINE THE TAPE WAS LIKE MELTED. #2 YOU WANT TO TIE THE MONO WITH AN ARBOR KNOT DIRECTLY ON THE SPOOL, THEN PUT ON APPROX 25% OF SPOOL CAPACITY, THEN WITH A BLOOD KNOT TIE YOUR MONO AND BRAID TOGETHER AND FILL THE REST OF THE SPOOL WITH BRAID. THE HOOK FOR YOUR RIG OR HOOK MUST BE A POLOMAR KNOT. TO CUT THE LINE I USE A SCALPEL, LIKE ONE THE DOCTORS USE AT A HOSPITAL. YOU WILL NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS SPOOLING TECHNIQUE!!! I HOPE I HELPED!:thumbsup: LATER!:wave:

·
Registered
1,071 Posts
I agree about not using tape on my spools. I just use a mono backing & tie thw braid directly to the mono. Also, for $5 Rapala has a pair of braid shears that I have been using for about 3 years now. They are great

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
OK I CLEAN, LUBE, AND SPOOL REELS FOR A LIVING ON THE SIDE AND THIS IS HOW ITS DONE: #1 NO TAPE:naughty: BECAUSE I KNOW FROM PERSONAL EXPERIENCE AND OTHER PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME WHEN THE TAPE GETS WET FROM THE WATER OR JUST TEMPERATURE IN COULD MAKE THE WHOLE SPOOL OF LINE SPIN WITH OUT EVEN USING ANY DRAG. I HAD MY 51" 51LB STRIPER ON FOR 1 HOUR AND FINALLY I LANDED IT BECAUSE THE DRAG AND THE WHOLE SPOOL OF LINE WAS SPINNING AND WHEN I TOOK OFF THE LINE THE TAPE WAS LIKE MELTED. #2 YOU WANT TO TIE THE MONO WITH AN ARBOR KNOT DIRECTLY ON THE SPOOL, THEN PUT ON APPROX 25% OF SPOOL CAPACITY, THEN WITH A BLOOD KNOT TIE YOUR MONO AND BRAID TOGETHER AND FILL THE REST OF THE SPOOL WITH BRAID. THE HOOK FOR YOUR RIG OR HOOK MUST BE A POLOMAR KNOT. TO CUT THE LINE I USE A SCALPEL, LIKE ONE THE DOCTORS USE AT A HOSPITAL. YOU WILL NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH THIS SPOOLING TECHNIQUE!!! I HOPE I HELPED!:thumbsup: LATER!:wave:
I agree with this method, although I do the electrical tape for fresh water, and never had a problem. I have said though before, I would not use this for salt and big fish

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
This sounds like a very good method to use. I still don't understand why you guys use mono as backing though. Price? Dacron fly reel backing or Cortlan micron is realy nice stuff and made for that duty. Also agree about the tape thing, yuk. I do think it'd be rough carrying a scalpel around with you on the water. Although you could perform an amputation in the field if say, you got your leg stuck in a crack between rocks.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I agree with this method, although I do the electrical tape for fresh water, and never had a problem. I have said though before, I would not use this for salt and big fish
Pete, how dare you post a GM engine pic in my post thems fighten words:fighting:LOL I'm into Stangs(no counting for taste) but I still have a few GM
454 Tonawanda 4 bolt mild cam(rv cam) my tow truck
350 LT1 in my Caprice ex cop car now my sons 1st ride

302 5.0 with GT 40p heads n Edelbrock upper n lower intakes still putting this bullit together

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.