BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the deal with this. How did the superstition get started? Anybody know?

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Heres what I learned about it working the boats in the keys...
Fishing had been super offshore for weeks. One day a banana boat sunk. Banana's were seen floating for miles...Nobody caught anything till the bananas were gone. Dont know if theres a different story up here in the northeast..

·
Registered
168 Posts
I've heard this one before... I've heard it was because banana boats that sunk would leave floating bananas as a grim reminder to teh unlucky demise of the crew... I've also heard that sailors would get bitten by tarantualas that would hide in bananas bunches.

But here's a story for you... I went out striper fishing with a buddy of mine this year and hammered them... over 100 fish in 8 or 9 hours. I ate a banana for lunch... and my buddy gave me a hard time. The next trip, I had no bananas on board... and my motor broke down. So go figure... to me, it's an old wives tale.

But if I had to blame anyone I personally blame it on Gilligan...he loved those banana cream pies... but we all know how he ended up, the most eligable bachelor(compared to a hefty skipper and a "know it all") on a deserted island with two hotties. So bananas aren't such a bad thing. :D

·
Registered
548 Posts
ok now i heard this one
they found a huge ship "banana boat" out in the ocean not going anywhere and when they boarded it they found the crew dead from being bit by the banana spiders
i guess there could be more stories

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I read (in an Uncle John's Bathroom Reader) that bananas release a gas as they ripen that causes citrus fruits (limes and lemons) to rot. If you store bananas with the other fruit then the other fruit rots quickly. Because of this sailors were forbidden to store bananas on a trip as the needed the other fruit to prevent scurvy.

So basically if the sailors stored bananas the ship's crew would not have the citrus fruit that prevented scurvy and thus the crew would become afflicted. This is very bad when whaling or fishing voyage might last several years. Bad luck.

My personal experience has been that I avoid bad luck (or anything that might be associated with bad luck) while fishing. No scurvy so far so it works.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
I personally don't buy this crap, but know lots of guys who do. I call them my good luck charm and bring them on my boat all the time.If I'm on someone elses boat and know it bothers them I eat in in the truck on the way to the boat

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by esquired:
No scurvy so far so it works.
Well there you go then!! So I managed to avoid the scurvy and did'nt even know why!

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Originally posted by KeysKid:
Heres what I learned about it working the boats in the keys...
Fishing had been super offshore for weeks. One day a banana boat sunk. Banana's were seen floating for miles...Nobody caught anything till the bananas were gone. Dont know if theres a different story up here in the northeast..
Capt. of the No Sweat told me about a guy who brought one aboard, which he was told to throw over. When he did the fishing picked up and you know what they found inside the fish, a Banana.

·
Registered
31,674 Posts
THE STORY I HEARD WAS A FLEET OF SHIPS MANY YEARS AGO ALL SUNK IN A STORM WHILE CARRYING LOAD OF BANANAS.TALK TO THE OLD SALTS. THIS WAS A HOT TOPIC IN DRY DOCK LAST SUMMER.

·
Registered
2,997 Posts
Esquired ....IS RIGHT. I am in the nautical antique business. This subject has been writen in many, Sea history, nautical journals etc.Many of our superstitions were started on the high seas . Rum was some times a factor however. Joe R

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Originally posted by Joe R.:
Esquired ....IS RIGHT. I am in the nautical antique business. This subject has been writen in many, Sea history, nautical journals etc.Many of our superstitions were started on the high seas . Rum was some times a factor however. Joe R
Well of course I am - there is a first time for everything you know.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Hey, while on the subject, anyone know where you can get "NO BANNANAS" decals. The one with the fruit in the middle with circle around them with line through .

[ 05-23-2006, 11:47 AM: Message edited by: Fish magnet ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts