·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Worth the $$? I was thinking of buying one

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
We carry the Yeti, Engel, and Igloo coolers. We only regularly stock the Yeti's, as they have been one of our more popular products, ever since they started with the Icey Tek line. I've been in the fishing business, my whole life and I have owned my share of Igloo coolers and they are great and serve their purpose. But when, I first started selling Yeti's(Icey Tek) the Igloos I had were covered in duct tape, home made hinges, home made handles, and home made plugs. Since then I have not had any of the same problems with the Yetis.
Now, I'll admit I can be rough on a cooler. Slaming the lid down on an angry fish or kicking the cooler out of the way to get to the gunnel:D

·
Registered
577 Posts
yes! i bought one of the bigger ones last year - mounted it coffin box style on my cc - looks to me like it will last forever. ice stays for days and days

·
Registered
726 Posts
Yes. Yeti, Engel and Frigid Riged all worth the $$ from the standpoint of construction and ice retention.

You will find them to be a bit heavier than a typical Igloo or Coleman cooler due the the beefier construction and insulation.

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thansk for the replies
Off the hook are you open on the weekend so i can take a look? Thanks

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
Tuna John, we do not have any regular hours right now. Just give the shop a call and we can arrange to open up for you. 609-884-0444
Thanks

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks chuck

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
i have the Engel 146 and i would get the yeti if i were you. the latches are better on the yeti. i have broken 2 of the 3 on the Engel. they stick out if you do not latch them. but it is still way better than the igloo i have. i freeze 5 gallon buckets of water for ice and it will last 5 or 6 days in the summer.there was one on craigs list over the weekend

http://southjersey.craigslist.org/boa/2779449398.html

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I would look at the Engels.. They are less expensive then Yeti and have done better in a few tests..

Then if you want the Bentley of Coolers I would look at the Frigid Rigid.

We carry both incase you have any questions.

FYI the Frigid Rigid's are made to order and takes about 1 - 2 weeks to build.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
I have a question. Do people actually keep fishy, smelly ice week in and week out? I hear a and read stories, where fishermen talk about keeping their ice for a week. I don't think that is a good thing. :huh:

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
I have a question. Do people actually keep fishy, smelly ice week in and week out? I hear a and read stories, where fishermen talk about keeping their ice for a week. I don't think that is a good thing. :huh:
Here's where it matters. Senario.. Your fishing Friday so you load the cooler on thursday night with ice, ballyhoo and butters... Weather changes for the worse and now the next weather window is Sunday into Monday. With the high end coolers you can leave your boxes loaded with the ice and not worry if it's going to go bad in 48- 72 hours.

This is where I see it being most benifical. As well as not have a cooler full of water After a 24 hours fishing trip.

·
Registered
4,199 Posts
George, wouldn't keep bait or smell ice for a week:) Another, scenario for long term ice, is for holding ice for overnighters. Especially when you don't have an ice maker, and/or your fish boxes don't hold ice well.:cool:

·
Registered
1,798 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
again thanks for all the replies I think im getting the 65 qt yeti after I see it in person

·
Registered
659 Posts

If you are not going to be down at the boat for a couple days it's nice to be able to leave cold drinks and beers in a cooler and know they will still be cold when you come back.
For bait coolers its convenient not having to worry during the day of your bait tray getting flooded....not really a big deal to open the drain plug but its just one less thing to worry about.
The Yeti's are also heavier and seem to stay planted better on a rocking boat due to the rubber pads on the bottom. with lighter igloos you have to add your own non skid which doesn't even work as well.
Anyone who has used an igloo knows they crack, break, and get holes in them. This is a non existent problem with a Yeti.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Like I said I freeze 5 gallon buckets to make blocks.when I am back at the dock I hose out the cooler and the block of ice.no problem no smell

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Nice coolers but they are very heavy. I know guys that use them just for their food and drinks and they never leave their trucks or saloons.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts