BASS BARN banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i want to get some clams, crabs, invertebrates, etc for the salt tank. what do i need to do to transport them to philly and keep them alive.

thanks

·
Registered
11,236 Posts
Bucket or two of sea water and they make it back fine but cover them or keep them in the car because the water gets hot in the sun. I have done it a number of times.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks stain. do you dump them right in the tank or do you have a quarantine type tank you put them in first?

·
Registered
3,008 Posts
Tom,

What do you think you are going to do, raise your own bait supply? :confused: :D

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by snichols:
Tom,

What do you think you are going to do, raise your own bait supply? :confused: :D
yeah i'm going to stock the creek :D

·
Registered
19,485 Posts
Hey beachboy.

When I lived in Philly I was able to get everything back to my tank in just about perfect conditions.

I used a cooler to get everything back and even got shiners back without loosing any.

Depending on how many items you plan to transport at one time should determine the size of the cooler.

When you are ready to leave fill a large plastic bag with clean saltwater. Place it in the cooler and stick an airstone from a battery operated pump in the bag. Tie the bag tight so water doesn't leak out. Then take some ice cubes and place them around the outside of the bag. The ice will cool the water and act like a seditive to the fish.

I made trips every week and used a small lunchmate cooler with a snap on lid. I taped the pump to the outside of the cooler and ran the air line inside. I picked up the pump at a tackle shop for a few bucks.

Once I started transporting in this method I never had a problem. When I got home I just placed the bag with the airstone still pumping into the aquarium to get them adjusted to the water temp.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

·
Registered
9,458 Posts
Steady fillin boxes

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by chunking:
Hey beachboy.

When I lived in Philly I was able to get everything back to my tank in just about perfect conditions.

I used a cooler to get everything back and even got shiners back without loosing any.

Depending on how many items you plan to transport at one time should determine the size of the cooler.

When you are ready to leave fill a large plastic bag with clean saltwater. Place it in the cooler and stick an airstone from a battery operated pump in the bag. Tie the bag tight so water doesn't leak out. Then take some ice cubes and place them around the outside of the bag. The ice will cool the water and act like a seditive to the fish.

I made trips every week and used a small lunchmate cooler with a snap on lid. I taped the pump to the outside of the cooler and ran the air line inside. I picked up the pump at a tackle shop for a few bucks.

Once I started transporting in this method I never had a problem. When I got home I just placed the bag with the airstone still pumping into the aquarium to get them adjusted to the water temp.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.
cool. thanks. might be bringing some stuff home this weekend :D gonna be getting a 180gal next week or the next... think i can rasie a new world record stripe in there :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts