BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know to be cafeful with Bluefish and Oyster Crackers so I don't lose a finger or two.

What other fish do I need to be weary off, and why?

Also does anyone know anyone who has lost a finger to a blue?

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
SPINY DOG FISH - BEWARE OF SPINES - THEY HAVE SHOWED UP IN GOOD #'S.

MY OLD ROOMATE HAD A BLUEFISH TAKE A 2" CHUNK OUT OF HIS CALF WHILE SURFING. :eek:

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
as far as teeth are concerned.....sharks!!!
most fish that do have teeth have some form of a weapon. sea robins, croakers can cut pretty good b/c of a small sharp plate on there gill plate. skates have some small but very uniform sharp teeth...they are from the shark family. i found out the hard way and still have a scar to remind me. even those little mullet have those pointy fins that stick ya occasionally.
Nick

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Don't Lip A Weakfish..... :)

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
actually porgies could ruin your day with those real fine spines. There hard to see but if u get one in your hand you'll know that they are there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've had a few bad experiences with (I think it's called) the gill plate of striped bass! (Whatever the back most portion of the gill is called, where it makes that ) curve .)

Usually I grab a fish behind the eyes & gills... did that with a few bass, they shook their head and I got a nice slice on my finger...

Now I have a boga grip type of thing...

·
Registered
452 Posts
I met a guy at a baitshop in north carolina who lost his finger to a blue. A big blue, about 15 pounds, and he has it mounted in his house. He got the finger back, sewed back on, but a wicked scar. The finger was cut off right at the first joint closest to his fingernail.

·
Registered
5,108 Posts
Wahoo & Kingfish (not the surf one)

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Flounder have a nice set of chompers on them. Sea bass have spiny fins. Croakers and stripers have sharp gill plates, watch out for dog sharks they have a spine sticking out of their dorsal fin.
Last summer I was fishing from Reed's beach at night and I caught what I thought at the time was a sand shark yet looked like a real shark. Well I did what I usaully do to get a hook out of a sand sharks mouth-grab the bottom jaw and reach in to pull the hook out, BIG mistake felt like a bunch of sharp little razors slicing up my finger and thumb. I bled like civ, and found out that it was a brown shark. I hate finding out the hard way. Make sure you know the difference between a monkey skate "skate" and a sting ray. Monkey skates look like a big flattened out monkey ball with a short spiny tail-sting ray is smooth looking with a long whip like tail. You can pick up a monkey skate with your bare hands but its spines will rough and bristle up your hands. Sting ray when landed they whip their tail about, best thing to do is once you realize see the ray, just cut your line.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
nursing a gash in left palm from Spiny M#%*[email protected]##$&*Fish .thought it was a sandy while BullSh***ing with my friend

·
Registered
324 Posts
watch out even if the fish are dead
my dad stuck his finger in the mouth of a flounder to look at its teeth when he was fileting it and got chomped on
he must have hit a nerve but it got infeceted and took a month to heal

·
Registered
324 Posts
also for those tuna fisherman watch out for those little bones when your chunking butters
the break off and get under your skin and heal over top with the bone still in your hand
i have heard some horror infection stories

·
Registered
836 Posts
Another thing to be careful with are your own hooks. You don't want to be hooked thru the hand with a 12 # bluefish on the other end of the hook.
It happened to my brother-in-law last year removing about a 5# fluke from a two hook rig.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts