BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whats your favorite 3 flys & what lines do you use at the beaches..I'm thinking stripers & blues......thanks , Jim:confused:

·
Registered
420 Posts
If I'm fishing beaches or jetty, I'll use a 9 1/2' 8 wgt, overlined with 9 wgt line. Two spools one with WFF and one with an intermediate line. For jetties and back bays, I'll also use a 9' 6 wgt with 3 spools, floating, intermediate and depth charge sinking line.

Three flies, actually four I use a lot depending on the time of year and baitfish in the water.

Bunker

Silversides

Mullet

And a general purpose fly, just picture it without the prop.

·
Premium Member
5,198 Posts
Clousers, deceivers, & if conditions are favorable, poppers. Int. line & I find I'm using the floating line more in the last couple of years.

·
Registered
7,812 Posts
Clousers, decevier or bunker fly and a black silcone mullet for night time.

Once you get some experience you will find a large variety of flys and colors will all work for you.

Saltwater fly fishing. It is more location, location, location. If you find the fish or likely feeding spot, almost any fly that resembles a baitfish will be taken by stripers and blues.

Mostly use intermediate and sinking lines. Only use floating when using surface or popping flies.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
CapeMayRay said:
Clousers, decevier or bunker fly and a black silcone mullet for night time.

Once you get some experience you will find a large variety of flys and colors will all work for you.

Saltwater fly fishing. It is more location, location, location. If you find the fish or likely feeding spot, almost any fly that resembles a baitfish will be taken by stripers and blues.

Mostly use intermediate and sinking lines. Only use floating when using surface or popping flies.
What Capt. Ray said, I fish from a boat but use mostly sinking lines of various sink rates. I'll have three or four rods rigged and ready. A 300 grain on an 8 wt, 400 on a 10 wt, a 550 for dreging the depths with a foot long bunker fly on an 11 wt, and a 9 wt with a floating line and a big slider or the like.
As far as flies, I love a Tabory snake fly on top. Yanks Assassins over Clousers, and big bunker flies. With few exceptions, find the fish and just about any reasonable baitfish pattern will work.
True story, fished Indian river inlet one night, on the north jetty. We had a school of bass that would very consistantly return to the north side every 15 minutes. These bass were all 36 inchers. They would come in we'd both hook up, land the fish and wait for thier next apperance. They were so regular with thier apperance that after landing a fish I tried an experiment. I'd change my fly. I caught fish on every one, no matter the pattern. Cape Cod Eels, clousers, deceivers, flat wings, siliclones you name it. we both caught a dozen nice bass that night and ended up leaving with the fish still comming in every 15 minutes. So, as Ray said, find the fish and the pattern is not as important as one might think.

·
Registered
3,622 Posts
It's just my opinion, of course, but if you're fishing from shore, and there's a chance of catching decent-sized fish, I feel that the absolute minimum stick is a 10-weight. I have an 8-weight, but I only use it when (like mid-summer) I'm reasonably certain there aren't any larger fish around. You'll be OK with an 8-weight 99% of the time, but I don't want to cry over losing a fish because I came to the beach undergunned. If I'm specifically targeting big bass, I'll even use my 11-weight: compare even a heavyweight fly rod to the pool cues conventional and spin beach fishermen use, and you really can't go too heavy, at least when you're talking about fish 25 lbs. and up.

My traditional favorite flies are clouser minnows, deceivers, and half-and-halfs. But I've recently become enamored with surf candies. The bait I see most frequently in the wash is the Altantic Silverside (aka spearing), and the candy is a dead-ringer for them. So even though it moves through the water like a stick, I find I'm using it more and more. It works.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts