BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What was your first boat? When did you get it? Do you still own it? Any good memories?

I got my first boat as a gift from my Dad. I still remember I walked over to the bay with my mom in June 2000 when I graduated 8th grade and my Dad drove the boat up. I ran right out in the water and jumped in. It was a 1977 13' Boston Whaler with a 1983 35 horse Evirude. That boat was everything to me. My Dad got the boat out of the newspaper and it needed a ton of work. When the engine was lifted it wouldn't lock into place so I would have to wedge a 2 x 4 in there to keep it out of the water. I took all the wood out of the boat and sanded it religiously and then stained it all. I painted the bottom and rewired the lights. The boat didn't have a working bilge pump at first or a cover. I remember one night in late July when it rained all night. I set my alarm to go off every 2 hours that night and then I would ride my bike over to the boat to scoop it out with a detergent bottle. Since I couldn't drive that boat was my car too. Sometimes I would get up early for school and drive over to OC, park it behind some house, and walk to the high school. I also used to drive up the Tuckahoe to friends houses. I loved that boat so much, but as I got bigger I started to outgrow it so we sold it two years ago and got a 15 footer. I'll never forget that first boat though.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
cool story. it reminds me of the kids in the show flipper. they had a small whaler if i remember correctly.

so far for me, no first boat. i did get a kayak two years ago, and have it rigged for fishing. i'm actually planning right now on building my first boat. i've been checking out plans on the bateau website, and i think i'm going to build the OD-16. it's a flat bottom dory with high sides, center console, and will move along with minimal power. i'd probably go with something like a 40 hp on the back. it will be a flyfishing machine.

now, i just have to get the okay from the wife to shell out the initial investment to buy the wood and fiberglass/epoxy.

·
Registered
27 Posts
1970 GLASTRON 17 ROT ALL OVER NEEDED LOTS OF WORK .GOT IT FOR 200 BUCKS GOT IN WAY OVER MY HEAD ON THIS ONE. NO TIME NO MONEY.BUT I LOVED THINKING OF WHAT COULD BE ONE DAY.ALL THE BACK BAY FISHING TRIPS. I HAD TO GIVE HER UP :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
1982 bow rider with 1972 50 evenrude.paid 1000$ for it and had it for 4 years before she dropped a piston.had some of my best trips in that boat.she was old ,but meant the world to me.the mornings that she would just not start sucked ,but all in all i miss the sound of that old motor when she did fire up!!seems to me i worked alot more on her and liked it,then i do on my new boat.last i seen of her she was being rebuilt for a mans 15 year old son,hope he has as much fun as i did.,matt

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
i was 10 or 11 middle 50's lived on the canal in www it was a 12' alum. arkansas travler with a
7 1/2 evenrude both were new.i was allowed to go from shawcrest to the nww bridge.i never went any further either cause my father had too many spies.
what a great summer.had that boat 2 years and got a fiberglass 12'fancy red trim fins on the white glass.the mfg. was winner it was made in burlington. had a mark 28 merc--22hp..two years to a 14' wood sea mac with a mark40 45 hp merc that i had for 4 ears and sold when i got married.
why????

·
Registered
57 Posts
Mine was a old wood Whirlwind. Got it from my uncle. It had been kept in a barn loft for years. Refinished it and used it for 2 years. Sweet old ride.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My first wasd a 1976 fiberglass 14' starcraft with a 28 Johnson key start. Cool little boat. It looked like a woodboat,with all the lines . Totall rebuilt it. It had the old pulley and wire cable steering which was really tough to re-wire.
It sat in the yard for a couple of years and then I sold it to kid who worked for me last summer. Actually I gave it to him for $500.00 and that motor ran great,but he reminded me of me at that
age;always talkin' about fishing. I bought a new 17 Cape Horn cc 2 years with a 115 4-stroke Johnson. The biggest little boat on the market.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
As a kid we played in the red clay creek as we grew up and built a plywood boat that took on water faster than you could bucket it out. Only floated a few minutes after a few days work.

·
Registered
4,786 Posts
12' aluminum Sears model. Deep V, about as sturdy as a canoe. Got it when I was about 8 or 9. Had various outboards on it. Most were on their last leg. No problem! She had oars and oar locks. I remember pulling it home at times. Used it all throughout the back bays of Stone Harbor and Avalon, fishing, lots of crabbing and skiing, YES SKIING! :D
Finally got a new 9.5 ob.when I was about 11 or 12.We could water ski with 1 guy in the boat and 1 skiing! Ahhh the memories. Great times. Amazing the amount of fun that could be had on a gallon or 2 of gas.

Good post Twister

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
Originally posted by CaptnRon:
Mine was a old wood Whirlwind. Got it from my uncle. It had been kept in a barn loft for years. Refinished it and used it for 2 years. Sweet old ride.
DID YOU EVER REWIRE IT AND TURNED RIGHT AND IT WENT LEFT--I DID.

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by Mike Grabbe:
12' aluminum Sears model. Deep V, about as sturdy as a canoe. Got it when I was about 8 or 9. Had various outboards on it. Most were on their last leg. No problem! She had oars and oar locks. I remember pulling it home at times. Used it all throughout the back bays of Stone Harbor and Avalon, fishing, lots of crabbing and skiing, YES SKIING! :D
Finally got a new 9.5 ob.when I was about 11 or 12.We could water ski with 1 guy in the boat and 1 skiing! Ahhh the memories. Great times. Amazing the amount of fun that could be had on a gallon or 2 of gas.

Good post Twister
Thats cool that you would ski off that little power. I remember when I would ski off the 35 I thought it was cool. My Dad used to tell me about when he was a kid and him and his brothers would ski off their MFG with a 9.9 on the back. Pretty funny when you think about it

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
I got my first from the 1962 March storm. It was a 12 ft garvey that washed up on the end of our street. My Dad put an ad in the paper and after no one claimed it for 2 weeks, it was mine. I bought a 3 hp Evinrude for it and thought I was king of the world. Kept it at Hackneys. $18 dollars for the slip for the season. :eek:

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
12' Sears Gamefisher deep vee for me too. Yes Mike, they were VERY unstable but a lot of fun. I used to take my brother's father in law herring fishing in the spring to "The Wall" in Trenton when my brother and his wife started dating. Dropping him off at home one day, he asked me to stop by and come out too his yard. There she sat on a rusty old trailer, upside down and about 3 or 4 different paint colors that were faded through. An old tarp thrown over the top covered with leaves and pine needles kept her well insulated. He said I could have her if I wanted as it was too much for him as he was getting up in years. I was in shock and could'nt beleive that someone I barely knew could be so nice. I took it home cleaned her up and took her bass fishing the next weekend in Newton Creek with an electric motor and a battery I borrowed. I felt like the captain of a tall ship that day. I was so happy to have my own boat(thanks again Pop).

That was the start of wonderful fishing friednship that's lasted to this day and also the beginning of my boating "sickness", the quest for the perfect boat. You all know what I mean. A good back bay is too small to get out and a bigger boat that is good for outside, is too big for backwaters. Oh what a dilema? Gone are the days of simplicity using that little old boat and having so much fun taking everywhere and places where I shouldn't have been. That tired little old aluminum boat that would leak like a sieve, but bailing was half the fun.

About 15 boats have come and gone since then, and I've had a bunch of nice rides. I'll be at the AC boat show next week deciding on this years flavor of the month. As I look at all those big beatiful behemouths in the back of my mind will always be the fond memmories of my first little boat. "Those were the days my friend."

·
Registered
7,292 Posts
17 Carolina skiff with a 40 Merc, converted the Merc(Sucks) to a Yahmie 4 Stroke, still own it

Cobia WA with a Yahmie 4 Stroke now well rigged

3 years from now:

36 CONTENDER FISHAROUND with triples :eek: !!!!

·
Registered
420 Posts
My first boat that I actually bought myself was a 1983 whaler 18 foot outrage with twin 70 yamies. My new whip is a mako 23 with twin 135 mercs. Should have gotten the hondas mercs suck.

·
Registered
8,344 Posts
10 foot aluminum. 7.5 johnson. Me and my brother would sit in the back row of the boat and see how high we could get the boat out of the water from hitting other boats waves. Capt.Robbins from sea isle city often presented a problem.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
I had a Zodiac 10 footer with a 9 hp. I used it alot in the delaware river and sometimes in the back bay.

·
Registered
13,737 Posts
my "first boat" was a sears 12 ft aluminum, with a whopping heavy 5 hp motor. My dad had a cabin along the Delaware River in lackawaxen, and we used to a manual block and tackle setup to haul boat and motor up after a weekend's use on the D. The bank must have been 50 ft high.

Most memorable use of the boat was taking my Mom for a ride and going out of the channel, hitting some rocks and shearing off the prop, with a long oar-ride back up in the lee of the current.

current "boat" is a kayak, always with dreams of either a Aquasport 21 CC or a Watkins 27 sailboat on either end of the spectrum, depending on my current daydream....

·
Registered
200 Posts
My first boat was a 1971 12ft alum. starcraft with an 1965 evinrude 5.5hp that my dad bought me when I was 9 ,I lived on the north end of barnegate bay ,Green island, I think that was the best gift I have ever received when I was a kid. I sold it to a friend two year ago ,only with a 15hp evinrude on it now.
Regards,Steve

·
Registered
489 Posts
18' Plywood garvey. Home built by a lunatic motorhead, paid $300... Had a 383 Chrysler, no trans (direct drive) drystack exhaust, drive from behind the motor ala Jersey Speed Skiff... Cable steering! Nailed the bottom back on it all 4 times I used it.. Float it off trailer, back up with a paddle, aim it and hit the key... Sold it to another idiot for $250.00.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts