BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
16,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Pretty good tie for a beginner. I think she will be really good at it with some practice.

·
Registered
16,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm a bait man. I'll probably show up with a can of worms. Folger's can. :D

Typicial of Budweiser lovers. Trust me when I say catching a fish on the flats with a flyrod is 10x the experience of catching one one a shrimp. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Looks way better than some of my first.Not overloaded with too much material.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Good looking first fly. Noticed the circle hook.

As side note. Anyone using circle hooks on a regular basis? I have a few flies that have them I but just never got a round to using them enough to tell whether they are good or bad. Anyone have any fly fishing experience with them? Good or Bad?

·
Registered
347 Posts
That fly looks good to me. Nice work :thumbsup:

Good looking first fly. Noticed the circle hook.

As side note. Anyone using circle hooks on a regular basis? I have a few flies that have them I but just never got a round to using them enough to tell whether they are good or bad. Anyone have any fly fishing experience with them? Good or Bad?
I have yet to tie or try any, but definitely want to know how they work. I've used them for everything else and found them to work very well once you've figured them out.

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
I also have had great luck with them when using bait. You just let the fish run off and hook itself in the side of the mouth. When we normaly fly fish we strip strike to set the hook as the fish are mouthing the fly to set the hook. With the fly not going in deep, using the same method would just pul it out of their mouth. (the reason so many new circle hook angler miss fish)

·
Registered
347 Posts
I also have had great luck with them when using bait. You just let the fish run off and hook itself in the side of the mouth. When we normaly fly fish we strip strike to set the hook as the fish are mouthing the fly to set the hook. With the fly not going in deep, using the same method would just pul it out of their mouth. (the reason so many new circle hook angler miss fish)
I had enough trouble learning how to use circles when using them for bait. I missed a lot of fish before I figured it out. I'd imagine it will be the same with the flies. There will be a lot of missed fish before I remember not to set. Should be fun trying though. :D

I was just thinking about how they would sit in my fly box. I guess I would need to get some kind of updated fly box. Doesn't look as though you can just hang them in the foam like normal. What kind of box are you using for them Ray?

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Most but not all of the guys I hear from have tried circle hooks but usually don't continue using for many reasons. Tarpon guys really don't like them. BTW Very nice looking fly.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I've tried them with reasonable success. I believe the problem with using them for flies is the "strike" on fly. Of course there are exceptions but usually, a fish sucks in a fly.....realizes it's not "normal" and spits it out. Not the best scenario for a circle hook. A circle relies on the hook slowly dragging back out a fishes throat/mouth and catching as it revolves around the interior of the lip.

·
Registered
16,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The hooks were cheap and just for practice......

Been tying a bunch of bonefish flies and having a blast.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Id recomend using a mustad hook they set better. You can meke them a little thicker with the buck and add more flash. Its all about matching the body with the hook size. Keep tying and experimenting with patterns...
Personaly, I don't care for Mustads. They don't hold a point for crap. Tiemco, Gami and even Orvis make excellent hooks. A little more money but I've missed or lost more fish on Mustads than all other hooks combined. Not that I miss that many mind you.
Many things go into hook size and hook wire size than just the body of the fly you're tying. One of the most important things is the tippet you intend to use. You can't drive a 2x strong 4/0 Gami home with 8 pound tippet and you don't want to use a lite wire, #4 hook with 20 pound tippet. I'm exaggerating here obviously but it helps make the point. :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.