BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
They should just drop the price tag, there is no way it costs that much to make a reel. Going to china won't do much when VS went over seas the price went up,

·
Registered
7,651 Posts
Now that I am able to afford one of these reels, they go over seas which doesn't surprise me but what does surprise me is that they drop the Life Time warranty to 3 years. Why would I pay that much for a reel with a limited warranty? I could buy much cheaper reels and get the same warranty. The cost to replace the broken parts after 3 years would be as much as a new cheaper reel I would think. If I am off base let me know. I thought the idea behind the VS and the Zeebaas reels where there relibality and their Life Time warranty.:huh:

GSBB

·
Registered
659 Posts
A Zee wont last you the trip home from where you bought it regardless which generation or which country its made in. Zees are beautifully machined but each one i have ever held has had a problem different from the one before, they cant even get consistant with their mechanical and design issues. All you can do is hope the made in China Zee's turn out a little better. Now about VS and oversees production, VS has not sacrificed any quality what so ever by moving production over seas. Other than the minor enhancement VS did on the handles of their reels there is no difference from those made in the US and those made in China.

·
Registered
31 Posts
hey pw i dont no if you own a vs or zbass but my past experince has told me different. I owned a zbass for 2 years and it has perfomened flawless. I have caught tuna to 65lbs & drum to 85 without any problems. I also own 3 vs 2 made in usa & 1 made in china the later has had numerous problems (seals bearings etc.) we have turned into a walmart society. Last year I caught my best flounder 12.8oz on a 30year old penn #9. I have owned numerous reels over the past 35 years and its funny the only ones left are american made!! The only reasons dealers push the other brand reels is because of the 50% mark up.When was the last time you caught a fish of a lifetime on a 30 year old shimano.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
hey pw i dont no if you own a vs or zbass but my past experince has told me different. I owned a zbass for 2 years and it has perfomened flawless. I have caught tuna to 65lbs & drum to 85 without any problems. I also own 3 vs 2 made in usa & 1 made in china the later has had numerous problems (seals bearings etc.) we have turned into a walmart society. Last year I caught my best flounder 12.8oz on a 30year old penn #9. I have owned numerous reels over the past 35 years and its funny the only ones left are american made!! The only reasons dealers push the other brand reels is because of the 50% mark up.When was the last time you caught a fish of a lifetime on a 30 year old shimano.:thumbsup:

Can't argue w/ you there!!!!! Although today I found a 30 yr old Diawa and Mitchell reel in moms garage that I am hoping will catch a Fish of a lifetime . All the Penn reels my dad had went with me when I moved 27 yrs ago 3 of which I still have a Surfmaster, longbeach, and 4/0 senator that still work.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I have been beating the pi$$ out of a Quantum PT cabo for several years, never wash it off, oil it or anything, and I cannot kill it. I dropped it, and broke the bale. 15.00 later including shipping, it is back at work. I have an American VanStaal, and it is going on ebay in a couple weeks.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
:bow:a quart of pork fried rice!!! for $950+ the new zbasses are going to come with a little man to turn the handle & land your fish for the length of their three year warranty.:bow::bow::bow::bow:

With $ 950.00 I can get a lifetime of Good quality reels that don't Weigh a ton...and will catch just as many fish.

Live 2 Fish
<><
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
946 Posts
who cares? i mean really who cares if the reel is made in china, usa, india or anywhere else. I mean we voted for obama and hes doing a rel good job of screwing this country up, **** if i were you id start investing in the china stock market

·
Registered
791 Posts
i did hear the same about the china thing.
it is really a shame when these american companies are sent overseas for production. i for one would not buy a zeebaas for 900.00 just don't seem right. i own vs reels a 300 a 250 3 150's and a 100. i got these reels when they were american made. my first was over 10yrs ago and the last was about 5 yrs ago. the only issue i ever had with any of them is i had a 150 leak under the spool. sent it in and it was taken care of no questions asked. now when you go to vs website and click warranty or service it takes you to another link that doesn't even work. don't feel the love like i used too.

with this said i would never buy another because they are made in china when they should be made here in the usa. shame on them for the lake of american pride in there products.

·
Registered
25 Posts
They have indeed gone to Chinese production. Which is a shame because I felt that being made in the USA was one of their primary attractions.
Myself, there's no way I'd shell out that kind of cash for any reel, especially for one made in China, no matter how good the warranty or the reel is.
My old Penn 710 and 6500SS will catch fish just the same. I could go through dozens of used Penn or Daiwa reels before coming close to that amount and put just as much fish on the table.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.