BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a set of Bennett trim tabs that are deteriorating badly, especially the hinge and inner backing plate, so I'm adding zincs to the tabs. The boat has a bracketed outboard.

Couple of questions;

Is it necessary to ground, (bond) the tabs?

If it is necessary, (and I'm assuming it is for an "anode" to work properly)... what's the simplest method?... and what type of wire would you use?

I've never seen this happen before, with previous boats, and I've never had zincs on the tabs. Wondering why this is happening with this boat. I installed the tabs about 3 years ago. Sanded, primered and painted them with Petit ablative bottom paint, (copper base). Is this the wrong type of paint to use on stainless steel?

One thing that's different from previous boats is... I added Bennett's trim tab indicators, (red led's). Wondering if that's somehow effecting them, (bleeding current?).

The outboard's zincs seam to be ok, (doing their thing). Normal loss after the season, (maybe 20 - 30 %).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
You can add trim tab zincs fairly easily. Chances are the tabs are only screwed into the transom of the boat, and not through bolted.

They do not have to be bonded to the boat,but you would use GREEN 8awg marine wire, nothing more, nothing less.

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Got a set of Bennett trim tabs that are deteriorating badly, especially the hinge and inner backing plate, so I'm adding zincs to the tabs. The boat has a bracketed outboard.

Couple of questions;

Is it necessary to ground, (bond) the tabs?

If it is necessary, (and I'm assuming it is for an "anode" to work properly)... what's the simplest method?... and what type of wire would you use?

I've never seen this happen before, with previous boats, and I've never had zincs on the tabs. Wondering why this is happening with this boat. I installed the tabs about 3 years ago. Sanded, primered and painted them with Petit ablative bottom paint, (copper base). Is this the wrong type of paint to use on stainless steel?

One thing that's different from previous boats is... I added Bennett's trim tab indicators, (red led's). Wondering if that's somehow effecting them, (bleeding current?).

The outboard's zincs seam to be ok, (doing their thing). Normal loss after the season, (maybe 20 - 30 %).

Thanks in advance.
You can use regular bottom paints on trim tabs as they are SS, so you are ok there. You can just drill a hole and add the rudder zincs on each tab or Camp even makes a zinc kit that mounts to the bolts that coonect the tab to the actuator.

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
Get ahold of Tim McGow down at Bennett. Ask him if they have any of the powder coated tab plates left over from testing that will fit yours. Corrosion problems are not warrantied, but if they have spare tabs laying around he'll send them to you for nothing..

I had set get eaten in about a month at the Stone Harbor docks on 81st st. At the time Bennett was playing around with powder coating them. Tim sent me a set and just asked to tell them if the new coating was sticking to them.. It didn't..

After that at one boat show I bought these block zincs out of grab bucket for a buck a chunk. Each one weighed about pound. They looking like small ingots and had holes drilled in them. I cut them and have been using them since on tabs. I bought 10lbs, I wished I'd bought 50lbs.. The point is you can use any shape zinc you can find and bolt it to the top of it. just make sure you get clean contact between the zinc and the tab and don't be afraid to check them once in awhile. When they get eaten away they get loose.

·
Registered
3,445 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LaceyMarine - Thanks for the tip about the zinc kit... never knew they had those.

Dunk - I sent you a pm.

SeaSparks - I mounted the rudder type zincs to the center of the planes. My main concern was grounding... thanks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.