BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question about zincs, do they wear out or stop working. I put new zincs on my outboard last year and they seem to be in good condition no pitting or lost of zinc do they need to be changed. thanks Rick

·
Registered
275 Posts
high tide said:
I have a question about zincs, do they wear out or stop working. I put new zincs on my outboard last year and they seem to be in good condition no pitting or lost of zinc do they need to be changed. thanks Rick
You should be good to go from your description.

Mike

·
Registered
324 Posts
if your zincs look that good then you are lucky
we have to change them about 2-3 times during the season
there is no mistaking when they need to be replaced- when they are gone they are gone

·
Registered
2,707 Posts
Zinc anodes wear out. They are always working when in the water. That is provided they are not painted.

·
Registered
14,420 Posts
Be sure the wire connections to the zinc plate are clean also.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sometimes if they look good thats not good unless your a trailer boater. If they look good they are usually not working. If you leave your boat in the saltwater for any amount of time they usually have a little bit of erosion even on a perfect system. Even when they look good they should be checked for continuity to ground. If they get corrosion behind them or they are mounted on a painted area on the drive or midsection they may not have a path to ground. If you don't have a volt meter to check ,its always a good idea to remove the anode clean it with something abrasive to remove the oxidation and be sure to clean the mounting area and fasteners. This system needs to work just like a battery connection if its dirty or has a poor connection it won't work.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
KING MARINE OUTBOARD said:
Sometimes if they look good thats not good unless your a trailer boater. If they look good they are usually not working. If you leave your boat in the saltwater for any amount of time they usually have a little bit of erosion even on a perfect system. Even when they look good they should be checked for continuity to ground. If they get corrosion behind them or they are mounted on a painted area on the drive or midsection they may not have a path to ground. If you don't have a volt meter to check ,its always a good idea to remove the anode clean it with something abrasive to remove the oxidation and be sure to clean the mounting area and fasteners. This system needs to work just like a battery connection if its dirty or has a poor connection it won't work.
Exactly.... If they look that good pull them, clean the contact spots and reinstall. It can't hurt to give those mounting screws/bolts a little exercise every year.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts